Question about cymbal height.

My ride is low but not so low my hand will hit the floor tom when I crash it on the edge. My 2 crashes are a bit lower than shoulder height. Like this I can get to all the parts of the cymbal a little more easily yet still crash the edge.
I'm kinda short and I sit low...this might be really low for some.

Mine used to sit high. Over time they've come down.

I've been experimenting with them being really low recently given I'm still recovering from a shoulder injury.

Same here...

... due to back pain a few years ago, I had to re-think the whole configuration, my crashes are about shoulder height and the ride is lower, by approx 6", although I sit a little higher than before.

Sometimes, mic considerations dictate cymbal positions, especially on a set with more than one crash & multiple toms. Crashes need to be at some distance from the tom heads to prevent excessive crosstalk in close mic applications. I typically lift my crashes a little for mic'd live work, although my ride is always just above floor tom batter height.

I wasn't quite sure what John was going for when I first saw him with that 7 foot cymbal, but his explanation is pretty rooted in musical practicality.

Please explain. Does he play it while standing?

I just had to sit down and look. I have an Ozone that I put up sometimes for giggles. That is about armpit high. Left and right crashes are middle of the chest and almost flat. Ride and hats are just below the elbow. As people say, the older you get the more ergonomics matter. Although I've been trying not to slouch the way I've done for years and put things up a bit higher. I used to have my ride just above my thigh, but sitting up straight puts it about 4" higher. And is better on my back when I can keep the position.

I do drums low, cymbals high to be seen more but I also like the feel of it. I used to do the flat Tommy Lee thing but just ruined many, many cymbals hitting them dead on,

Please explain. Does he play it while standing?

I remember him explaining that joining Battles made him rethink how he used the parts on his kit. He felt that his use of cymbals should be simplified and that a crash should be something almost eventful, done with purpose. Having the cymbal up that high makes him nearly have to leap from the throne to get it, so obviously he will tend to use it only when it seems absolutely necessary.

Back