TEACHERS: What are some things you have learned from your students?

chathamight

drum instructors,
has a student ever taught you anything about drums, your teaching style, perspective on the kit etc? please share your stories!

as a student, it's motivating to hear/read about how we may have affected you positively in some way, rather than just anonymous cash cows who need to practice more. surely you've had (a) student(s) who remind you of why you love to teach...

I've had a student demonstrate what a lot of hard work and dedication can accomplish. That itself, is what I learn from watching them play. I had a student in his first year preparing for a little make-shift recital, and he wanted to play along with this song on his ipod. He had only been playing for a few months and was no where near that point. He came by for some extra work, and within two months was playing along with the track... i was shocked that he was able to pick it up that quickly..

It just goes to show that if you sit down and work hard, you can accomplish your goals and dreams. it's that young, tireless dedication that reminds me of myself at a younger age.

patient, understanding teachers who help motivate students when they need motivating are the best kind.

how do you motivate students? is it a case by case basis, or is there a certain perspective that you impart on them, that you use to motivate yourself?
my own perspective is that i'm a lifelong student of the drums and there's so much to learn and so many people to teach different aspects, that the kit has to be a way of life in order not to be overwhelmed by all the areas i could improve. it's an awesome journey!

Great comments, Pat..I think guys like yourself who can not only play, but teach so well are SO rare..I've learned so much from your DVD. Thanks!

#1 Understanding that it takes a long time to learn anything well.

#2 Respect

#3 How to practice...and how Not to!

#4 Humility

# Love, of my instrument, what I do, and what my students are trying to accomplish.

There are many answers that would be accurate for me, but the first one that came to mind is this: how to be a better teacher! Over the years you find what works most effectively for most students.

Back