emperor or pinstripe on sonor force 2003?

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
hi,
i have been rying some new heads recently, but havent been able to find the right ones. I just used remo ambassador coated heads, but im starting to move away from jazz, and these heads are too pingy...well for my maple set!
anyway, i have started focusing on funk music such as tower of power and james brown, that sort of stuff......any sugestions on heads??.....i have been looking up on pinstripe, but people seem to be saying that they are too dead......help? PLEASE!

Pinstripes do not muffle/mute/flatten the tone as much as ec2, hydraulics, performance 2 or even ps/3's.

Clear emperors will give you more low end than ambassadors will. You can always dab them with moongel to achieve the "just right" punch/depth/muffle.

I would go for the emperors , and if you want even less ring , you can always mauffle them . but if you get the pinnstripes you can't add more ring.

the thing thats throwing me off is, my drum teacher uses pinstripes and hes an old fashioned jazz player!..kinda weird!
and if i was going for the emperors, which would be better?.....(if anybody has used the two) coated or non coated?

cheers

Last edited:
I have used Remo Pinstripes on my toms for quite awhile and on different kits, I find them very good for depth and dynamics as well as being easy to tune so they would be a good choice. I have recently changed to the hydraulics from Evans mainly due to a new style of music I have been playing that relies less on the bounce than I normally play, they are very easy to tune as well but will die faster than other heads. The Pinstripes in my opinion sound better after some time and seem to "burn in" just like a new amp will. If you are coming out of jazz into another feel I think you will appreciate the bounce you get from the Pinstripes. I use both Evans & Remo so I am not being brand name biased. It is only my opinion so I would suggest you check out a few stores and get opinions from the staff and gauge your choice from there.

Good luck.

the thing thats throwing me off is, my drum teacher uses pinstripes and hes an old fashioned jazz player!..kinda weird!
and if i was going for the emperors, which would be better?.....(if anybody has used the two) coated or non coated?

cheers

I have used both coated and clears. I prefer the coated Emperors and have used them the most for the better part of 21 years. Occasionally I will switch to clears and I like them too. They have a little bit more punch/attack I guess you could say. But over a little while I miss the warmth of the coated.
I have used the Evans G2 coated also and they were not bad but the feel was a little different then the Emperors so I switched back.

hi,
i have been rying some new heads recently, but havent been able to find the right ones. I just used remo ambassador coated heads, but im starting to move away from jazz, and these heads are too pingy...well for my maple set!
anyway, i have started focusing on funk music such as tower of power and james brown, that sort of stuff......any sugestions on heads??.....i have been looking up on pinstripe, but people seem to be saying that they are too dead......help? PLEASE!

Go with the coated emperors! I recently switched over from the pinstripes on my maple kit to the emperors, and the difference (for me) was quite significant, the pins sounded (as you said dead) switching over to the coated gave more warmth and tone to the kit, also get a good reso head.

Go with the coated emperors! I recently switched over from the pinstripes on my maple kit to the emperors, and the difference (for me) was quite significant, the pins sounded (as you said dead) switching over to the coated gave more warmth and tone to the kit, also get a good reso head.

i think i have made up my mind now...i think i will go for the coated emporers!....thanks for all of the comments piperdoog, mikeybbdrummin, bruce.m.thompson, ENRICO and trkdrmr!!

i think i have made up my mind now...i think i will go for the coated emporers!....thanks for all of the comments piperdoog, mikeybbdrummin, bruce.m.thompson, ENRICO and trkdrmr!!

No problem, as I say I went with the coated emperors and I'm glad I did.

Back