Ludwig Black Magic Snare - throw-off upgrade recommendations?

niburja

Hello!
I just bought a Black Magic snare and want to upgrade the throw-off.
Has anyone upgraded their throw on this? If so, which are you using?
Thanks.

Why upgrade it?Is there something wrong with the one you have?

If you just bought the drum,it's still under warranty and Ludwig will replace it.

If not......it's not always a good idea to do something,just because you can.

Steve B

Why upgrade it?Is there something wrong with the one you have?

If you just bought the drum,it's still under warranty and Ludwig will replace it.

If not......it's not always a good idea to do something,just because you can.

Steve B

i agree.
i have my black magic for more than a year and the throw is perfectly fine.

It looks and feels like it's made of plastic. I guess I'd feel more confident if I knew it was metal.

Attachments

• DSCF0957.JPG
    DSCF0957.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 2,441
I am guilty of wanting to upgrade a throw mostly to make the drum look nicer. Hey it's my money.

:)

I'd get a trick gs007

Zarrdoss,
I like the black nickel plated RCK that I saw in your link. It would match my hoops and it looks like it would mount right up without any adapter. Thanks for the info!

Dre25,
I looked at the GS007 and like it, but would need an adapter and it's a little pricey for me. I think I'm gonna go with the RCK. Thanks for the recommendation!

Keep in mind the holes on your throw are 1 1/2" and the other said it was adjustable to 1 3/8 so will it go another 1/8" ? you might have to wallow out the holes a 1/16" on either side to get it to fit maybe, let me know how it goes and how it feels compared to the stock.

Keep in mind the holes on your throw are 1 1/2" and the other said it was adjustable to 1 3/8 so will it go another 1/8" ? you might have to wallow out the holes a 1/16" on either side to get it to fit maybe, let me know how it goes and how it feels compared to the stock.

Ahhh, I measured my snare wrong! LoL
Well, it looks like I'll be ordering an adapter afterall. =)

Attachments

• slingerland1 throw off.jpg
    slingerland1 throw off.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 1,696
  • 1958_Slingerland_Blue_Sparkle_Hollywood_Ace_Snare_Drum-567x378 (2).jpg
    1958_Slingerland_Blue_Sparkle_Hollywood_Ace_Snare_Drum-567x378 (2).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,690
Last edited:
niburja, the throw you have is metal, and I doubt it would ever fail. I have this throw (chrome) on a World Max snare I've had for almost 10 years.
It's just not the same finish--it's powder coated instead of being Black Nickel.

Nickel would look nicer, but 'm sure it was a cost consideration to powder coat.

I can't say to leave it or change it, because 5 years ago I would have changed it and found a throw to match, even spending some serious bucks...these days, I wouldn't spend the money.
Just my mindset these days :)

niburja, the throw you have is metal, and I doubt it would ever fail. I have this throw (chrome) on a World Max snare I've had for almost 10 years.
It's just not the same finish--it's powder coated instead of being Black Nickel.

Nickel would look nicer, but 'm sure it was a cost consideration to powder coat.

I can't say to leave it or change it, because 5 years ago I would have changed it and found a throw to match, even spending some serious bucks...these days, I wouldn't spend the money.

Unfortunately, I'm a sucker for looks. I already ordered the RCK throw. Going thru buyers remorse now but, hey, I'll forget all about it after it's installed. =) Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!

That would be this one!

Nice drum,but non original rims and strainer.

If there was a way to disargee more than 100% about the P-83 or the Slingerland rapid strainer,I would.

I have P-83s on several Ludwig snares,and a Rapid strainer on my Hollywood Ace.Dispite being over 45 years old,they ALL still work flawlesly.Smooth,quite and buttet proof.

Steve B

That strainer is pretty much bullet proof Karl.

The worldmax strainer is actually based on the Slingerland TDR which is super simple and sturdy.I hve one on my 79 Slingy Spitfire brass snare and giged it pretty hard for a few years and it still works flawlessly.

Steve B

Unfortunately, I'm a sucker for looks. I already ordered the RCK throw. Going thru buyers remorse now but, hey, I'll forget all about it after it's installed. =) Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!

Let us know how it turns out, Another one that might work is a DW mag throw, all you would need are some spacers to get it over the bead and drill the holes out for the larger screws. I have contemplated this for a while but my money goes elsewhere these days.

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_104_40&products_id=6246

Nice drum,but non original rims and strainer.

If there was a way to disargee more than 100% about the P-83 or the Slingerland rapid strainer,I would.

I have P-83s on several Ludwig snares,and a Rapid strainer on my Hollywood Ace.Dispite being over 45 years old,they ALL still work flawlesly.Smooth,quite and buttet proof.

Steve B
Opps.Wrong pic! I love the p83. It works way better than the p85. Maybe the Hollywood Ace review is a bit unfair but mine fell apart.

Back