What's the deal??

Comatose

I tried searching for a topic on this to no avail. Anyway, I've been drumming for over 13 years now, and have just recently encountered other drummers placing a tom to the left of the snare (right handed). What exactly is that for? An ergonomics thing, or is it just a radically different set-up?

I'm assuming you mean to the left of the hihat?

I wouldn't say 'radically different' although people like Travis Orbin (search YouTube for 'numbers interpretation' it's great) have an original playing style as a result. But he a talented freak of nature anyway! I wouldn't normally say ergonomics, except in the situation of setting up a symmetrical kit (Bill and the Speedy Hat comes to mind), but I guess some people may disagree with me in regards to with a standard righty kit. It depends on the music you play mostly imo, and playing style closely behind that.

Someone said it the other day here, other instruments can only be played in one or two ways, but the drums are great because they're infinitely modifiable to the drummer's style and personality. I remember when I first saw drummers with secondary hihats (on their right), it was a radical thing for me then (I had been playing for maybe 3 or 4 years).

Anything at all, or a multitude of things. I've run batteries of drums left of the hi-hat ... like 2 octobans and 12 and 13 inch rack toms (made for a nice quad set) .... my Roland SPD-S ... and currently, my 18" Luddy floor tom.​

Alot of metal drummers put a floor tom to the left of the hihat, often the biggest one.
I asked my old teacher once, and he said it was just more accessible (to him) that way. If he had it to the right, besides the other floor tom he had to reach too far back, for it to be comfortable. It's just a preference thing :)

Back