Used Cymbal shopping - Just too many choices - Please help

THC

I really need some help guys.

I am currently shopping for what will be a full set of used cymbals on CL. I am just on decision overload. I am still a beginner, with a fairly tight budget, and am looking for decent mid-level cymbals.

I don't know exactly how the various models all line up. I know that for Zildjian and Sabian, the B8's and ZBT's are entry level and I've played on both. From there it's pretty much a guess.
Example:
Zildjian Avedis "A" 18" Medium Thin Crash - $90.
16" Zildjian Z Custom Crash - $80
18" A. ZILDJIAN MED/THIN CRASH - $95
Zildjian Z Custom Rock Crash 19” - $90

All around the same price. I have NO idea which one is better sounding, quality, price, anything. (These are just an example of some local ads. Not necessarily anything I'm looking for.....I think :) )

I really don't know what I'm looking for. If I had a list of what I wanted, and it was just a matter of tracking down those cymbals, that wouldn't be bad. Just surfing for good deals when I don't know what a good deal is, is causing me not to buy anything.

I know cymbals are a very personal choice, so it's almost impossible to ask "what should I buy?" but do guys have ANY advice, or giudance to help me just to get some kind of a game plan here?

If it helps, I tend to play 80's metal, anything classic rock, some jam bands, like Widespread Panic. I also tend to do most of my playing at lower volumes. I'm not a hard hitter at all.

Any help at all is much appreciated.

In my opinion the two A Zildjian 18 crashes are the best of the list. With the prices being the same or close, I would steer away from the Z's. The two 18's should be listened to before buying and get the better sounding one.

I I also tend to do most of my playing at lower volumes. I'm not a hard hitter at all.

The Z Custom crashes are very thick and clangy, meant for bashers who don't want to spend a fortune replacing cymbals. Go for one of the A medium crashes. Maybe look around for another A, or an A Custom crash to go with it.

Even though they're a standard size, I'm not a big fan of 16 inch crashes, there's just not enough to them. Save your pennies and get a second 17 or 18" crash.

In my opinion the two A Zildjian 18 crashes are the best of the list. With the prices being the same or close, I would steer away from the Z's. The two 18's should be listened to before buying and get the better sounding one.

Thanks, but that's just the first four crash ads listed this morning. There are probably hundreds more in all quality and price ranges. From the cheapest zbt's to the skies the limit. That's my problem.

I don't want to continually burden the forum with "should I buy x or y?" which is why I'm asking for more bigger picture guidelines on cymbal purchasing.

Here's my best advice for buying used. Know what you're buying. Do you live anywhere near a drum shop with a good cymbal selection? Then go visit it. Tap on everything bronze. Hear what the cymbals actually sound like live. Take home every little catalog and brochure you see that features cymbals and get to know the brands' lines. Go online and do a little research. Then you will be ready to try buying used simply by going by brand, size, and line.

Although nothing replaces the ability to touch and play the cymbal you are actually buying, in my opinion.

I'll bite.

Essentially, there are two kinds of cymbal companies. There are the smaller companies that tend to handmake everything - these include Istanbul, Bosphorous, Masterworks and the like. Then there are the bigger companies that machine-make. These are the more popular choices amongst the majority of players. These are Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste and Meinl.

Now, Zildjian and Sabian are the most popular. Paiste are rarer in the US (not in the UK necessarily) and Meinl are smaller still, but make good product.

Within these companies, they generally have three quality levels and amongst the top level, brighter and darker cymbals. You have the entry level (ZBT, B8, PST 5) the mid-level (ZHT, XS20, Alpha) and the 'professional' lines (A Custom, AA, 602). When buying used, it's worth just buying the best ranges from each companies - which leaves us with the last lot.

Between Sabian and Zildjian (your most likely choices) the ranges are directly comparable.

Zildjian A Series/Sabian AA Series - Mainstream 'Rock' cymbals. These are actually fairly versatile and a decent buy if you're not 'quite' sure.

Zildjian K Series/Sabian HH Series - Slightly darker cymbals. Still versatile.

Zildjian A Customs/Sabian AAX - Brighter cymbals leaning towards louder playing styles. Still very versatile.

Then there are the other, louder ranges like the Z Custom series and the Sabian equivalents.

There are also various general differences in the cymbals themselves that can influence sound.

Size - The bigger the cymbal, the lower the general pitch. Larger cymbals also tend to be louder.

Weight - Heavier cymbals are larger and will take more power to play, but cut more. Lighter cymbals have more 'wash' and open up easily.

Manufacturing method - Handmade cymbals are generally darker. Machine made are brighter and more consistent.

Lathing - Lathed cymbals are generally brighter and sustain longer. Unlathed cymbals are fairly rare, but becoming popular choices outside of the mainstream.

Composition - Sabian and Zildjian only use two alloys. B8 (8% tin) and B20 (20% tin). B20 are more often used in the professional ranges and B8 bronze is generally brighter and more often used in the 'beginner' ranges. This is not a quality issue though. Paiste make high-quality B8 cymbals (Paiste 2oo2 series) but most other manufacturers don't. All the ranges I mentioned in my 'professional' note are B20.

Here's my best advice for buying used. Know what you're buying. Do you live anywhere near a drum shop with a good cymbal selection? Then go visit it. Tap on everything bronze. Hear what the cymbals actually sound like live. Take home every little catalog and brochure you see that features cymbals and get to know the brands' lines. Go online and do a little research. Then you will be ready to try buying used simply by going by brand, size, and line.

Although nothing replaces the ability to touch and play the cymbal you are actually buying, in my opinion.

This is the credited response. It's your instrument. Put in the effort to get the right thing. Don't take chances. Care about your sound.

I second GD. Used A.'s are great bargains, and an 18" med thin is a great first real cymbal. As long as they're not cracked, you don't have to worry about the condition- you can clean them up with some Comet. As a general rule, medium thin or thinner on crashes and medium or lighter on rides are the most versatile. Z's are real cymbals, but useless for anything but heavy playing; to me they sound the way someone hitting you on the head with a dinner plate feels.

Both lines are professional cymbals, not mid-range, by the way- when you find one you like you can play it for your entire career.

Another option are old Paiste 2000s and 3000s. 2000s are more semi-pro, but still good cymbals and you should be able to get a great deal on them, especially if they don't look great cosmetically.

Back