Drum Influences

many of those above....Jeff Porcaro, Bernard Purdie, Al Jackson and all the Steely Dan drummers
Song wise heavily influenced by all the drumming on the stuff coming out of Stax, Muscle Shoals and Motown records.

I really forgot an important one. Mostly because I did not realize the influence at the time. The drum teacher in my pre-teen teen years was a Joe Morrello student. I did not know that until years later. So I have to assume my playing was influenced by him one person removed.

I forgot to mention Danny Seraphine and Bobby Colomby. Thank God it wasn't important.

Bonham, Ringo, Nick Mason. Mark Guiliana's work with Beat Music and Ali Shaheed Muhammad's beats for A Tribe Called Quest are the only modern influences I can think of.

One early influence for me was Brian Tichy. He lived in town and I still talk to his brother Mike once in a while. I was in high school and he was already out there "doing it" with Zakk Wylde in Pride & Glory. Hard to escape that!

Zigaboo is a big one... Stanton Moore... Danny Carey... Herb Alexander... Chad Smith...

Generally while I dig the super technical cats I'm more into guys with deep pockets and they influence my playing more then someone like Pert or Portnoy. I've never had the desire to be a total chops master on the kit, instead my goal is to be so deep in the pocket that people's faces melt. Still working on it!

If I had to make a really short list, it would have to be Starks and Stubblefield, Stewart Copeland, Elvin Jones, and above all others, Bonham.

One drummer who hardly gets mentioned is Debbie Peterson. Bonus points to anyone on here who knows what band she is the drummer for. She is also an inspiration to me.

I also like Ringo, though Watts delivers very well on "Get off of my Cloud."

Last but not least, John Densmore.

I agree with pretty much everyone here, but i will mention Ian Paice. All right now is a great hit . I always dug Simon Kirk on Fire and Water, yes music the like of what you rarely get a glimpse of nowadays. Keltner is a big one.

It was guys like Ringo that got me into drumming. Good thing with learning Beatles songs is they're so simple but you get feel thrown in for free.

But there's too many drummers that influence my playing to list who they are. I've nicked so many ideas from other peoples playing.

Back