That ecstasy moment %))

Andy

Honorary Member
It happens rarely (in my case, very rarely), but when it does, oh man, every piece of crap you've eaten over the years becomes worth it. It's that moment during a performance, that something inspires you way beyond impressive. It shoots you through the heart with a silk arrow. It can be a bandmate utterly nailing a stunning piece of personal performance, or the band just syncing in a way you never thought possible.

I had such a moment a few weeks ago. Our guitarist pulled a new solo interpretation out of the hat. Something he'd obviously been working on since the last gig, but his performance and interpretation was just sublime, & a total surprise. It raised my game, & my accenting of his piece gave me pleasure beyond measure. Pity I don't have a recording :(

Here's a classic example from one of my favourite concert recordings, & featuring my very favourite female rock singer, Sam Brown (If you've not heard her stuff, I seriously suggest you check her out). In this clip, just observe how Nick Mason is referencing her vocal in his drumming (looking at her to his right), & then just see his playing & emotion reaction when she really turns the taps on. Stunning, just stunning :)

http://youtu.be/RKVJicTW9rc?hd=1&t=1h28m57s Sorry, I've put the link in at the correct time, but YT doesn't seems to miss the starting point. Manually forward/rewind to 1 hour, 28:57. It's worth it, soooo sexy :)

Any stories/clips of moments like this, either yours or those of others please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still remember when Dark Side of the Moon albulm was first released so many years ago. What ground breaking music it was! I still love it today.

Sam Brown makes my heart flutter.

F

I remember Sam Brown's hit "Stop" at the end of the 80's.
I liked the song and thought the drumming was quite interesting for a top 40 hit.
So I checked who the drummer was, and his name was Gavin Harrison.
now that I didn't know!!!!!! Fascinating. Such a great song. I have her first album release, so I'll go check the credits right now :) Actually, that album is well worth checking out Alain. The use of a completely dry vocal to offer distance perspective is astonishing, especially for the 80's. Got to have a great voice to pull that off though.

I still remember when Dark Side of the Moon albulm was first released so many years ago. What ground breaking music it was! I still love it today.
Absolutely. Still being completely valid is testimony to the composition quality.

That sounds great KIS. I love those moments when everything just synch's together, when the whole band is thinking the same thing. Working like a well oiled machine.
Cheers Scott, & great to have you here. I hope all is well with you my friend.

F
Now that's an understatement!!!! I was soooooo in love with everything Sam Brown back in the day. The rest of this post is censored ;) ;) ;)

Stunning.The first time I ever saw her perform was the Concert for George.That amazing voice,comming out of this beautiful woman.She's got all the goods,for sure.:)

Steve B

Pity I don't have a recording :(

Yes, these special moments don't happen very often, and it is a real shame that you didn't record it.

I was in an improv band called Spoing, lol, a three piece band, guitar, bass and drums, we would have a leitmotif and improvise throughout the piece, once we played in a small bar, and we played one impro that was just magical, the interaction was so sublime betwwen us, I was on a different planet, probably my fondest gig memory of all time, if only it has been recorded.

As far as concert goes, I was in total ecstasy when I saw Pete Townshend with Deep End in 1986 in London, with the mighty Simon Phillips on drums and special guest David Gilmour, the beauty of it? ...they released a CD of that concert and I'm in the audience, can I really ask for more?

A track from this wonderful concert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeXf90OGTHE

Andy, the Floyd concert is absolutely brilliant, saved into my favourite pages, I will listen to the whole concert :)

My daughter looks like Sam Brown, and she does makes my heart flutter too, although not for the same reasons :))

As far as concert goes, I was in total ecstasy when I saw Pete Townshend with Deep End in 1986 in London, with the mighty Simon Phillips on drums and special guest David Gilmour, the beauty of it? ...they released a CD of that concert and I'm in the audience, can I really ask for more?

A track from this wonderful concert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeXf90OGTHE

Andy, the Floyd concert is absolutely brilliant, saved into my favourite pages, I will listen to the whole concert :)

woah !!! you were at that concert ? FANTASTIC !!! i've always loved that clip and performance. it was an MTV rotation video at that time. and i have the album on vinyl and cassette. have you ever spotted yourself in the crowd ? (or were you onstage : )) i like the editing and camera cuts very much.

i saw both of the Floyd comeback tours - Momentarily Lapse Of Reason and Division Bell, the latter of which (i think) was released as Pulse. i've seen video from both tours and i can tell you, it doesn't compare at all to being there.

woah !!! you were at that concert ? FANTASTIC !!! i've always loved that clip and performance. it was an MTV rotation video at that time. and i have the album on vinyl and cassette. have you ever spotted yourself in the crowd ? (or were you onstage : )) i like the editing and camera cuts very much.

No I wasn't on stage, lol, but I wish I'd been... no, we never managed to see ourselves my wife and I, I also had the VHS tape, but I watched it so many time, it's ruined.

Great concert really... opening song: Won't Get Fooled Again, so you can imagine, it settled the mood for the entire gig :)

This happens so often it makes me sick. About a year ago we had a gig and our first set was smoother and more perfectly weighted and performed than anything we'd done before or since. A guy with a video recorder was there but he only filmed parts of the second set, which was okay but the magic left us during the break.

GGITS is one of my favourite pieces of music - incredible with Clare Torry and lost nothing with Sam Brown. Tragically, I had an idiot thought while listening - that if someone on American Idol or The Voice nailed that tune they'd be guaranteed a place in the next round ...

The weird thing is I don't even watch those shows ... it was just planted by all the advertising for those shows on TV. Spooky ...

How about the version of Money ... loved Nick's little explosion during the laid back part of the guitar solo.

It's hard to imagine a band that has its sheet together more than Floyd - the composition, lyrics and themes, playing, gear, production, support team - every aspect is spot on and their use of tech and visuals are second to none.

Even Johnny Rotten secretly liked them.

Reminds me of when Clapton comes out of his solo and right back into the groove on Bad Love like its nothing. So tight and incredible

Back