WHAT KIND OF MUSIC DO MOST OF YOU'LL LISTEN TO??

choker

HI...i am a beginner and i mostly listen to hip hop n rap music...i know most drummers prefer heavy metal stuff but i somehow do not like that
i just wanted to know the artists other deummers enjoy playing or listening to :)

..................................................................................................

Anything that I consider decent! So that covers pretty much every genre except dub step :p

Sam

Most Drummers DO NOT prefer heavy metal. I prefer playing my own music as far as covers I like Louis Jordan from the 40s (Swing) I enjoy most R&B from the 50s and Motown to the Beatles to Hendrix in the 60s. The 70s from Allmans Bros to Los Lobos to AWB and the Tower of Power. The 80s are void of music hahahaha along with the 90s till now!
Traditional Blues (ex; Skip James) up to Modern day Blues (ex;Muddy Waters)
Chicago/Kansas City/Texas/Elm City ..........Blues music from shuffles to funk. Doc

HI...i am a beginner and i mostly listen to hip hop n rap music...i know most drummers prefer heavy metal stuff but i somehow do not like that
i just wanted to know the artists other deummers enjoy playing or listening to :)

Yes, you are a beginner....so you're forgiven...

I hope you'll find out through this thread that "most drummers" play and/or listen to a much wider variety of styles.

I like a lot of styles of music, rock, funk, fusion, jazz, blues, R'n'B, country, pop, anything that is sweet to my ears...

Anything that I consider decent! So that covers pretty much every genre except dub step :p

Sam

I agree with Sam, Im a old school rocker at heart I but grew up in the disco and 80's dance era as well and there is some stuff that my daughters listen to now that sounds good too. My all time favorite band is still Triumph and I still love to climb behind the kit and pound out a good old rocking tune like Chickenfoot's new Big Foot tune. I must say for a newer tune that one got the blood flowing but Haggar is an old school rocker too...lol

I love metal, but I have never really stuck with my attempts to learn to play it on the drums. I guess it's just not musical enough for me to really get into playing it, compared to funk or jazz. I do play metal on guitar, I'd say it's my favourite style to play on guitar in fact.

I really listen to everything, lately it's been the new Mastodon album, Dillinger Escape Plan, Kylesa, new In Flames album, Propagandhi (awesome punk band from Canada), The Gaslight Anthem, Explosions in the Sky, lots of drum & bass and some dubstep, and this guy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhgDqY7_RGs - no drums at all :)

Lately, I have been listening to blues and blues-rock, such as Gov't Mule and Derek Trucks. Peace and goodwill.

For me anything as long as it's a good polka. 8+). Actually anything but country, rap and hip hop or whatever they call it this week.

My all time favorite band is still Triumph...l

Actually, I've never heard anyone say that. My first thought was that you must be Canadian (right..lol). Triumph when I was a kid was always referred to as a Rush wannabe. But I admit I know nothing about them, except "Lay It on the Line", their only US hit I think. Was their drummer great? Best album? thanks.

what in the world leads you to believe that most drummers prefer metal?

I listen to everything from Cole Porter to Sepultura ....from Canibal Ox to Art Pepper.......from Otis Redding to Dillinger Escape Plan.....from Povarotti to Nas ......from Frank Sinatra to Misfits ........from Hank Williams to ISIS

you should listen to everything under the sun and take what you can from all of it

do you have to love it all?....no

but be aware of it and understand it

Mainly jazz and hip hop. So the conventional classic artists in those genres gives a pretty good overview, with a preference towards after the bop period, like Miles 2nd quintet, Mingus, Dolphy and Coltrane, and Keith Jarrett. and and rawer or instrumental like prime Nas (which is a frustratingly rare state to find him in!), The Roots, Cunninlynguists.

I do love lots of metal and punk as well, but Ihsahn and Dillinger Escape Plan, Refused and Circle Takes The Square comprise practically the entirety of my heavy listening right now.

It used to be my main thing but overexposure in the wrong mood has made me allergic to classic rock. I love thrash metal but I don't get anything new out of it so don't really have an urge to dig into it more often. I used to think hip-hop had no artistic or musical merit, but that was an opinion borne out of my own ignorance.

...damn your kidding about the THE Nas right? hahahaha whats next the Strawberry Alarm Clock? I need a nap, again! Doc

Minimalist Japanese Noise music, Avant Garde (Tetuzi Akiyama, some Toshimaru Nakamura), occasional 'Alternative' Rock (The Pixies, Radiohead, REM), some 70s Prog (King Crimson, Pink Floyd), some Metal (Tool, Slayer, Metallica), a lot of 20th Century 'Classical' music (Iannis Xenakis, Arnold Schoenberg, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Penderecki, Messiaen), Hardcore Punk (Dead Kennedys), Punk (The Clash), a lot of Jazz (Brian Blade, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk), Electronica (Autechre, Aphex Twin) and more than I could care to mention if I turned my mind to it.

By no means an exhaustive list. As you can see, Metal is far down the list. This is in no order of preference but metal is only a small part of my listening. I'm not sure if I'm even a drummer any more but more of a percussionist.

Back