Shipping a kit from an out of state GC store

charliedrummer

I've found a kit I'm interested in buying but it's located at a GC in a different state. It's a used kit so I can't simply get one at my local GC. So my first question is will GC ship kits they have on the floor? If so, do I have to have it shipped to my local GC or will they ship it directly to my mailing address? Last but not least, assuming they provide this service, have any of you had experience purchasing a kit this way from GC? I had a bad shipping experience with a kit a few years ago and am concerned how well they would pack a kit for long distance transit.

They will ship it either to your local store for you to pick it up or to your house. I bought a nice Pearl Session kit this way last year. However, I did have a bad experience:

The kit I kept was the second one I had to order. The first one was totally trashed when it arrived at my local store. Rusty hardware, tension rods missing, cracked bass hoops, deep gouges in the finish, missing a bass spur, on and on. That kit was trashed and should never have even been bought by Guitar Center for resale. I went into my local store to pick it up, saw the condition, and promptly received a refund. (The local store was shocked at the condition as well.)

I looked around some more, found another kit, and purchased it. It arrived in almost new condition with brand new batter heads on all the toms and in cases.

So, the drums themselves may be hit or miss, but Guitar Center will take care of you.

Thanks for the prompt reply. So, if I want to purchase this kit do I go through my local GC to initiate the transaction or do I contact the store that actually has the kit?

Thanks for the prompt reply. So, if I want to purchase this kit do I go through my local GC to initiate the transaction or do I contact the store that actually has the kit?

You can do it either way, but if you're paying with a credit card it's easier to just call the out of state store.

Back