Odery Eyedentity - Bubinga Snare - Am I missing something here?

Ytsephill

Hey guys,

So a week ago I was at a local drum shop testing out some snares and I came across a beautiful sounding Odery Eyedentity Bubinga snare.
Being that I always wanted a Bubinga kit and because of that I was aware of the price tag that usually comes with it, my jaw dropped when I found out the snare cost only 200€ (~175$).

14''x6,5''
8 ply Bubinga shell
2.3mm hoops
Throw off with 4 positions!

...For 200€???!?!

Am I missing something here?
Right away I put my Black panther on ebay, sold it and am going there tomorrow to pick it up. I'm also considering selling my whole Mapex Saturn kit to get a a full Bubinga/Maple kit.
Before I do this, I wanted to check with you guys if there are any "loopholes" I'm missing here.. The reviews I've been reading say nothing but good things, but still..

CaixaOderyEyeBubinga14x65PROMO.jpg

That snare does offer exceptional value, although I have seen examples (as in your picture) that suffer from slight lug splay. Don't be fooled by the premium that's often asked for bubinga. It's a fast growing wood that's in plentiful supply. A little dearer than most domestic species, but that's as much to do with transport costs as anything else. It's a great tone wood, but not "better" than most other woods suitable for quality drum production. The wood content in that snare is fairly small in terms of cost premium. The same goes for most ply kits too.

Enjoy your new snare. It's a good snag for that price, & Odery gear does offer great value for money. I'd take some time to consider changing from your Saturn to a kit of near identical quality. Again, it's different, but not "better". Mapex's Saturn punches above it's weight, & so does the Odery kit. I've played both kits you mention, & apart from personal sonic choice, I'd say there's not much to choose between them. Both are good value for money, & both perform well, but they sound slightly different from each other. If this proposed kit change equates to you dropping a big chunk of money, then think very carefully about your choice. Frankly, if you're going to spend money to change over, you'd be better off going for a better quality kit than the one you currently play. The Odery isn't a step up, it's a choice at the same level.

Andy, can I ask you something? It might help this gentleman out in this thread with his decision. When I first read your response I hear you explaining that he is not getting a better quality kit. Just making a lateral move. The Saturn is a funny beast. It is priced very inexpensively, so that just about anybody can afford it, which kind of makes it out to be just a great everyday, everybody kind of kit. People look at it like a stepping stone to something much better. On the other hand you will see many pros using it. Here is my dilemma. I picked this kit almost exclusively at first for it's sound. Not the look, colour, hardware, Badges! :) Just the amazing sound this thing had. There was nothing there in the shop that I wanted more. Not DW, Brady, Tama Elite, etc. What in your eyes makes other high end kits better in quality than a Mapex Saturn? The Saturn has beautiful hand rubbed finishes, great hardware, amazing bearing edges. The only thing missing is that little glued on piece of paper inside saying what note it is, or the gentleman's name that built, or inspected it. Not trying to be defensive here, just trying to understand what, in your eyes makes kits higher end than others.

Can you please define "lug splay". I have never heard that term and looking at the picture I can't see anything wrong with the lugs.

Thanks

Can you please define "lug splay". I have never heard that term and looking at the picture I can't see anything wrong with the lugs.

Thanks
Follow the tension rod angle from the lug to the hoop. It does not run parallel to the shell.

Thanks for the replies.
I should add that the main reason I'm considering selling my Saturn is because of the sizes I have. This seems like a good opportunity to switch.

I love my saturn kit and from all the top of the line kits I've played, I think it stacks up pretty well against them.

So after 'Keep it simple' brought to my attention the lug splay in the snare. It's extremely noticeable now, and it's making me think again about it.

From what I read about lug splay, its seen as a manufacturing/design flaw and it's very hard to correct.

What do you guys think? Does it play such a big factor?
Why didn't they just put 2 lugs.. gaahhhhh

Back