Drumming Careers

What are the top music schools to study drums at and what is required to get a place ? What other options to I have after leaving school? Im 16 and on my final year of my GCSE's, i can stay on and do A levels or i can leave and do something else but i dont know what.
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?
Thanks, Alex

That depends. Do you only play the drumset? Can you play mallet percussion, timpani, snare drum, latin percussion? Anything along with the drumset? I know professional players who make their living totally in percussion. None of them play only the drumset. All play mallets and timpani.

My first thought in taking the first step would be going to Berklee but I'm not an expert on the subject or anything. I mean, that's what I'd try to do if I was going to make a career out of it.

Last edited:
What exactly are "A-levels?"

go to youtube and look up the Berklee drum entry samples. If you think you are on par with those guys give it a shot. Berklee is not the only music school however, you can also look into MI, The Drum Collective, or even Juilliard. You can also look into traditional colleges with good music programs, I know there are a great many of them.

In the end, if your goal is to be a drummer in a band, join and band and network that way. If your goal is to teach music or play more traditional music forms like orchestras, music school could be a great choice. Its important to know what you want to do before you shell out the thousands of dollars a year for a school that may not meet your ultimate goals.

Remember, music schools are a business. the bottom line is you will need to pay for the school, regardless of which one you choose.

go to youtube and look up the Berklee drum entry samples. If you think you are on par with those guys give it a shot.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQFzjmOgmE
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDX7t3fE724

If one was looking to get into Berklee, this is what to expect with the auditioning process. VERY informative and thorough. These videos are from JP Bouvet (2012 GC Drum Off winner), who is a phenomenal drummer, and currently a student at Berklee. He runs through everything one would need to know, and expect for the audition.

That depends. Do you only play the drumset? Can you play mallet percussion, timpani, snare drum, latin percussion? Anything along with the drumset? I know professional players who make their living totally in percussion. None of them play only the drumset. All play mallets and timpani.
I only plays drums, but maybe playing other percussion would be a good thing to consider, in fact ill do just that. Thanks

What exactly are "A-levels?"
Exams we have in northern ireland and england, you do them when you 17-18 normally, so whatever the american equivalent is to them, unfortunately i dont know.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQFzjmOgmE
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDX7t3fE724

If one was looking to get into Berklee, this is what to expect with the auditioning process. VERY informative and thorough. These videos are from JP Bouvet (2012 GC Drum Off winner), who is a phenomenal drummer, and currently a student at Berklee. He runs through everything one would need to know, and expect for the audition.

Thanks these helped alot!

The Academy Of Contemporary Music in Guildford.
London Centre of Contemporary Music
Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts
Royal College of Music

To name a few.

You'll need to have your reading skills up to scratch, especially sight reading, and decent audition pieces to showcase your musical skill (Thats musical skills; not volume, speed etc) on the instruments you'll be studying.

The Academy Of Contemporary Music in Guildford.
London Centre of Contemporary Music
Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts
Royal College of Music

To name a few.

You'll need to have your reading skills up to scratch, especially sight reading, and decent audition pieces to showcase your musical skill (Thats musical skills; not volume, speed etc) on the instruments you'll be studying.

Yeah thanks ill look into them colleges, Thanks for the advice.

No problem! Apparently my reply is too short so I will add this lol

Not to worry, im grateful all the same !

Back