Peter Erskine is on the move... again

Maybe it was time for a change?

He can surely do what he wants he earned the right to do so. But just as he did with the DW where he most certainly influenced drummers to get his Frequent Flyer kit he must have left some folks thinking: ''Wait a minute I just spent crazy money on Kerope cymbals because Peter sold us on them but now what?''. Isn't that what advertisement is for anyway?

I believe that credibility takes a hit when stuff like this happens and it somehow falsely leads people who need help making decisions as to what gear they should get. Mind you if someone would go out and actually get Kerope cymbals and DW kits because of him they would have been well served because those are excellent products... just not the best has once preached by Mr. Erskine.

He can surely do what he wants he earned the right to do so. But just as he did with the DW where he most certainly influenced drummers to get his Frequent Flyer kit he must have left some folks thinking: ''Wait a minute I just spent crazy money on Kerope cymbals because Peter sold us on them but now what?''. Isn't that what advertisement is for anyway?

I believe that credibility takes a hit when stuff like this happens and it somehow falsely leads people who need help making decisions as to what gear they should get. Mind you if someone would go out and actually get Kerope cymbals and DW kits because of him they would have been well served because those are excellent products... just not the best has once preached by Mr. Erskine.

I get that. But in a year no one will remember what he played before anyway - that's also what advertising is for. I foresee him helping Meinl gain more American market share, yes? They're like the fourth Brady kid right now ��

He made it pretty clear when he switched to Tama that he was 60 and was going to play what he wanted and not apologize for it.

They are not saying specifically what he is endorsing though.

But he's still playing and endorsing Zildjian cymbals, right?

This endorsement is for Meinl Percussion, only.

OK I will raise my hand and call myself ignorant on this one I read Meinl even though I read the article and jumped to the conclusion it was cymbals. My apologies for passing judgment quickly and in an uninformed matter.

But my point from jumping from an endorsement to another still sticks.

OK I will raise my hand and call myself ignorant on this one I read Meinl even though I read the article and jumped to the conclusion it was cymbals. My apologies for passing judgment quickly and in an uninformed matter.

But my point from jumping from an endorsement to another still sticks.

If I had the chance to even get an endorsement, that would be cool. To be abLe to jump around? That's even better!

Who knows what actually goes on in the players mind. Other than he is getting paid by the company to push their product. He may be thinking to himself, "Jeez I really like these Zildjians too" It's all about the benjimans. Lets face it, I'm sure most of us could sit down and pick a set of cymbals out from any of the top makers and be quite happy with the sound.

He made it pretty clear when he switched to Tama that he was 60 and was going to play what he wanted and not apologize for it.

They are not saying specifically what he is endorsing though.

Know some industry guys and it was for the dough,so God bless him.

But just as he did with the DW where he most certainly influenced drummers to get his Frequent Flyer kit he must have left some folks thinking: ''Wait a minute I just spent crazy money on Kerope cymbals because Peter sold us on them but now what?''. Isn't that what advertisement is for anyway?

I believe that credibility takes a hit when stuff like this happens and it somehow falsely leads people who need help making decisions as to what gear they should get.

But one should never buy for that reason. If a drummer is influenced by what Peters plays fine, that is their choice, but says nothing of an endorser/drummer.

I believe DW bought LP. Meinl''s site does indicate what he is playing and it's not their cymbals. I guess the DW break-up was acrimonious.

That's too bad he waited until he was 60! :)

Whether it's DW-Tama, Zildjian-Meinl or whatever, an endorser's credibility/integrity is important, particularly to the company whose products the artist helps to promote with the connection of his/her name with theirs.

For the most part, if an artist moves around too much, they lose their value as an endorser, and the deals and company affiliations begin to wane. There are a few name guys whose word means little these days, and their eventual brand affiliations reflect that. There are also a few guys who can skip around often, and still possess enough name value so that the company doesn't really care, and will take what they can from the artist, while they can... just as the artist does to them. Those drummers' names are worth more than their ethics, and sometime you just have to say 'business is business'. Just to be clear, I'm not referring to Erskine here.

As for the influence that an endorser has on someone purchasing the product, nobody really expects a drummer to see an ad with a name drummer and a product, and order it just for that reason. The goal is that a drummer sees the ad, and then looks into the brand or product when making a purchasing decision. For example, when I talk about the brands and specific products I endorse, I would hope that you investigate the item before buying it on my word alone. My value as an endorser is that I'm known to make informed choices of the gear I associate my name with, and I'm in the community, not only on forums like this one, but I'm easy to reach via email, and I also chat with drummers in person while I'm in stores and on tour. In fact, I'm rarely featured in ads or some catalogs (Sabian JUST included my photo in their new catalog after 21 years with them!) yet I'm among the more visible of some of the companies' artists. Anyway, that's where my main credibility lays, it's nothing to do with being a virtuoso player. Of course it doesn't hurt that I've got an extremely long-running gig with a very visible and popular artist. :)

I don't know how long Erskine was with DW, but if he moves from Tama in the next 5 years, I'd definitely question his choices about gear. In the meantime, I do pay attention to what other pros use, they may know something I don't!

Bermuda

Flash a fang, try to sell some gear. SOS.

Really, axe yourself what stands out about Erskine's gear pimpability quotient, his (trademark(?)) drum sound, who he's played with, his technique/what he's played?

You could say 'everything', but to me me nothing really stands out.

Flash a fang, try to sell some gear. SOS.

Really, axe yourself what stands out about Erskine's gear pimpability quotient, his (trademark(?)) drum sound, who he's played with, his technique/what he's played?

You could say 'everything', but to me me nothing really stands out.

Not without historical precedent,Buddy jumped drum companies quite often as did Cobham.

I remember helping Vince Colaiuta unpack his Sonors of whom he was endorsing that I think may lasted 6 months to a year(if that long) before he went to Yamaha.
His Ludwig deal was a real head scratcher.

Back