whither the fat snare?

opentune

Platinum Member
The Wind Cries Mary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj-29BAv0dw
Our band has been working this up. The snare....What has become of that snare sound in modern music, even far back into the 90's? Is it me or has that snare sound (described as 'fat' by some?) gone the wayside. Was it just recording techniques or mere drum fashion of the day that promoted that sound? It seems poppy or cracking snares are more popular in most recorded rock music recorded these days.

You consider that snare sound fat? Phil Rudd's AC/DC snare is way fatter, I think. Or even Don Henley's snare with the Eagles. The father of the fat sound has to be Al Jackson Jr., though. Although I think you're right, the poppy, snappy sound is rather popular, but there are those artists that will experiment with what they think the music needs, and for better or worse, they think the snappy sound is best right now. I'm sure it'll change in time. I'm prepared by having both a snappy snare and wooden one that I have tuned fat ;)

what happened to the fat snare sound ?

Alex Van Halen.

the first time i heard his sound i screamed...what's wrong with his snare ???????? why doesn't he fix that ?

and a generation of Bonkers was born.

you know....BONK !!!!!!!!! as opposed to BAP !!!!

You consider that snare sound fat? Phil Rudd's AC/DC snare is way fatter, I think. Or even Don Henley's snare with the Eagles.

Well ya, Id' agree they are plenty 'fat' too, but what I mean is also a lower pitch, looser wires, creating a sound with quite longer decay. Mike Giles on Court of the Crimson King.....
It just seems less used these days, but you're right it may come around again....like concert toms lol.

Well ya, Id' agree they are plenty 'fat' too, but what I mean is also a lower pitch, looser wires, creating a sound with quite longer decay. Mike Giles on Court of the Crimson King.....
It just seems less used these days, but you're right it may come around again....like concert toms lol.

I'm experimenting with black dots again, so that's my big kick right now. It's so old it's new ;)

black dots...they're coming back...just around the corner.
funny, i never see them in stores even.

Phil Rudd's snare sound is not fat, i think it is morbidly obese.
I love the look of black dots, reminds me of a simpler time lol

Young "church" guy, fat snare: http://youtu.be/wGvr3hOTclA

I heard him break out this snare at a Happy Body Slow Brain show and the sound guy was completely unprepared for it. Half of the first song sounded like a second kick drum.

I do not care for the "fat" snare sound. I for one am glad that is is not so much in style. Peace and goodwill.

John Mayer from Continuum..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGSiG416C3A

Up until about 1:57 you'll hear a very tight snare and then.....puddin' - just like the studio version

I think it's either JJ Johnson or Steve Jordan

Weird video, at 2:20 there's Sean Hurley playing bass and a couple of seconds later Pino is in the frame. And at 3:30 Johnson is shown hitting a crash while an open hat splash sounds and then when he goes to the hat, you hear a splash. Who knows how much of the soundtrack here has been replaced.

I do have Jordan's "The Groove Is Here" video and he's got lots of heavily damped fat snare sounds on there. And oddly very little of that tight crack sound you hear on Robben Ford's Tiger Walk or Mayer's Try live album.

Back