cymbal stands

Mukund

do cymbal stands make a difference in the sound of a cymbal?
like if a cymbal is put on a 60$ dollar and 300$ stand
will the sound be different?

The sound from any given cymbal will cause "different" stands to resonate differently simply because they are different. However, not only will any residual resonance from a particular stand be negligible in it's difference it will most likely be inaudible compared to the sound produced by the cymbal (or anything else mounted on it). Either way, "different" don't necessarily mean better or worse.

Put simply, more expensive stands are on the whole priced like that because they are generally better made than their cheaper counterparts. If you want somewhere to put your 8" splash and never plan on moving it anywhere, then a cheap stand is fine. If you want something on which to mount a 22" ride, an 18" china, the odd tom or 2 and a couple of cowbells - maybe go for something a bit sturdier. Build quality or lack of tends to show the more you have to take something apart and transport it (ie for gigs and whatnot).

Hi-hat stands are a slightly different proposition, as they have moving parts - and the feel of the pedal under foot is very much a matter of taste. When it comes to cymbals, the hi hat stand is arguably much more important than any other - but the question about inherent sound difference between 2 different hat stands still applies.

Having bought a few stands recently I will say that my $40 Sound Percussion stand rings/vibrates when I do cymbal chokes and my $110 Tama Roadpro stand does not. I've looked to see if maybe it was sitting awkwardly on the surface but it seems ok.

However, this only happens when I really crash it hard and since I'm a hobbyist just playing for fun I'm living with it for the moment.

I'm intrigued as to why the old 1960's flush based stands aren't more popular. For me, they can hold all kinds of cymbals, from 8" splashes to 22" heavy rides and because they fold up nicely, they are very easy to break down and transport. Even the hi hat stand folds into a small metal tube about 40cm long and weighs less than 2kg.

I've been picking them up off ebay for about £25, and the weight makes a big difference. I can fit all my stands in a small suitcase, which I can manage on my own-no need for one of those great big black boxes which require 2 people to lift!

Back