Taylor Hawkins latest cymbal setup, anybody?

diegobxr

Silver Member
Hi everybody, I was just watching Foo Fighters' performance on Letterman and I'm very curious about Taylor's new setup.

Obviously I can identify the 20" A Custom EFX as his second crash.
Then there's a K Custom Hybrid as main crash. I guess it's either a 19" crash or a 20" ride.
Then, a China with holes (which I guess is a prototype, 'cause it's not on Zildjian's catalogue).

The hihats on the Letterman vids are impossible to see, but from other vids they show a K on top.. so they're no longer the 15" New Beats.

And my biggest doubt is the ride. I have no clue what it is, but it sounds delicious.

Here's a vid from that show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=738EWaJ32i8&NR=1

Well, I hope someone has some info about this setup!!

Cheers!

Attachments

• foo-fighters-live-on-letterman-2.jpg
    foo-fighters-live-on-letterman-2.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 55,292
  • foo-fighters-live-on-letterman-14.jpg
    foo-fighters-live-on-letterman-14.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 40,792
  • 2345.jpg
    2345.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 22,476
Hihats look like 15" K's, and from the third pic, the K Custom Hybrid looks like it's only a few inches larger than the hats. Thinking 16-18"? And the secondary crash looks the same sorta size. No idea on the china, but the ride looks like an A of some sort.

/uneducated guess. Haha

The Zildjian page lists his old setup.

15" K Light Hi-Hats
19" K Custom Hybrid Crash
21" Avedis Sweet Ride
20" A Custom EFX Crash
20" Oriental China Trash

Got this from wiki but was thinking the same.
The hats look big and traditional finish so that leaves the light 15"
The ride can also be the 24" medium A i've seen him use in recordings and the 24" ZHT is advertised as "used by Taylor Hawkins and Dave Grohl" but looking at the size it could verywell be the 21" A sweet ride as listed.

Seems like he's breaking my golden rule that a good rock drummer must have a 24" cymbal.

Check out view configuration

http://zildjian.com/Artists/H/Tylor-Hawkins

ride is a 22" A custom

As for the china with holes, no clue reminds me of the sabian O zone series.

Thanks man, but Zildjian's page is not even nearly accurate, the setups they show are like 5 years old.

Hihats look like 15" K's, and from the third pic, the K Custom Hybrid looks like it's only a few inches larger than the hats. Thinking 16-18"? And the secondary crash looks the same sorta size. No idea on the china, but the ride looks like an A of some sort.

/uneducated guess. Haha

I think 15" K's are possible. Dave uses those with Them Crooked Vultures.. he probably showed up at rehearsal one day and told Taylor "hey man, ditch those New Beats, here are your new hihats". :D lol

The EFX is the 20" because of the big holes. The holes on the 18" are a lot smaller. The main crash looks very similar in size, so yeah, I guess it could be in the 18"-19"-20" range.

The Zildjian page lists his old setup.

15" K Light Hi-Hats
21" Avedis Sweet Ride
20" A Custom EFX Crash
20" Oriental China Trash

Got this from wiki but was thinking the same.
The hats look big and traditional finish so that leaves the light 15"
The ride can also be the 24" medium A i've seen him use in recordings and the 24" ZHT is advertised as "used by Taylor Hawkins and Dave Grohl" but looking at the size it could verywell be the 21" A sweet ride as listed.

Seems like he's breaking my golden rule that a good rock drummer must have a 24" cymbal.

Yeah, he used to have the Sweet Ride, but what caughts my attention is that this ride he uses now is really really pingy, and he NEVER crashes it... thing that he did with the Sweet Ride...

From it's heavy, pingy sound I find it hard to believe it's a Sweet..

But well.. I could be wrong.

Cheers!

Hey, anybody noticed the stock Gretsch tom reso???
Haha, no Gretsch logo on the bass drum and no Remo logo on the reso or the bass drum either.. man, except from Zildjian, his sponsors must be kinda pissed. :p

Cheers

The ride cymbal is ACTUALLY a 21" Sweet Ride and the hats are definitely K 15" dark.
On the recordings though he used the 24" Prototype ZHT ride that Dave used live with TCV.

He changes his EFX about, usually between 20" and his own 22" he's had for years, also believe the K Hybrid crash is 17". The one he had at Coattail Riders was 17" and when I seen them in February the cymbal wasn't that big and looked 17" to me, not to mention the ride looked like a Sweet Ride when I seen them too (I was sitting at the side and I could see Taylors Kit from almost behind. :)

Mr Hawkins was the cover feature on Rhythm this month. Looking at the gear page his specs are listed as;

Drums - Gretsch USA Custom Series:

6", 8", 10" Concert Toms
13" Rack, 16" & 18" Floor Toms
22" Bass drum
14" x 6 1/2" Snare

Cymbals - Zildjian

15" K Hi-Hats
20" A Custom EFX Crash
21" A Sweet Ride
20" Avedis China Low (with holes cut in it)

Remo Drumheads
Zildjian signature sticks
DW Hardware
LP Percussion

Cheers.

Back