My Drum! Magazine piece is out...

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Hey, I just received my comp issue of the November Drum! magazine, which has my Cissy Strut article in it, so it must be in stores now. The piece explores some methods for using Syncopation to develop the type of broken up hi-hat stuff The Meters' Zigaboo Modeliste plays on Cissy Strut and elsewhere. I hope you dig it- feel free to PM with any questions.

By the way, I will be touring in Belgium and Paris from late October through mid November. If anyone in the region wants help with this or other Syncopation methods, I have many of them which I have not seen anywhere else. Please send me a PM if you'd like to schedule a lesson during that time. tb

cool, I been doing sissy strut from the book "off the beaten path" but it only has the main beat in it not the changes.

That Bonham book they are giving away to subscribe, I got free when I bought one of their magazines last year.. How cheap is that?

The key thing about it (which Stanton Moore covers in Groove Alchemy) is that the hihat part is played with both hands- RH on the 8th notes, LH on e's and a's, but in that broken up rhythm. Let me know what you think when your Nov. issue arrives.

I just saw Stanton Moore a few weeks ago where he went into depth on his two hand hi-hat style. He was great to watch and talk to.

Congrats on the article. I love that stuff, so I'll eat it up. The Stanton Moore book is a good one.

Thanks guys! I'm curious to hear about anyone's experience playing through it- I tried to keep the process pretty straightforward, but the learning curve seems to be a little steep for some of my students, at least when applying it to Syncopation.

Back