Hearing Protection

Jivi

I was doing a bit of research on hearing protection and I have been looking at some good earplugs but ones that also let you play music through them.

At the moment I have the Vic Firth headphones that do that, but they start to hurt after a while and I hate having that massive thing with me at school.

Are there any cheap alternatives using earplugs that also protect hearing well?

I checked out in ear monitors but they are fairly expensive for me.

What I do at the moment is wear the 'isolation' earbud headphones (that can keep out typical household noise...a bit), and then wear regular ear defenders over the top, the kind you'd wear when using a pneumatic drill or similar. Not perfect, but it makes it possible to play along to a click or a midi track, which is a lot better than nothing.

I have the same headphones and they are perfect for me. The problem with headphones in general, not just the big massive ones, is that they do start to hurt after a while. If i'm honest, I find the vics more comfortable than in-ear headphones. The other problem with the in ears is that they can be VERY expensive as they have to be moulded to your ears, like a hearing aid. We're talking hundreds. You can buy cheaper ones, but they're not as effective as the vic firths.

Great IEM's, are the IE-10's (Professional Reference Earphones) by M-audio I believe under $90 us. I bought them for 90 here in Canada. They come with a universal fit kit, they also can be used on airplanes, they are very well built. I've had them for over a year and they perform like the first day I bought them. I bought an extension for them 1/8" female to 1/8" male and a 1/4" converter to plug them into my mixer. These are serious headphones, I've used them on gigs and for practice, you can't go wrong for under $90.
Are there better ones? yes, but these will definitely do the job and more.

Thanks for the help.

The main reason I wanted to try something other than the Vic Firth iso's was because of their size and sometimes the sound is extremely boomy in certain rooms. The in ears seemed like a good choice but they are pretty pricey.

Great IEM's, are the IE-10's (Professional Reference Earphones) by M-audio I believe under $90 us. I bought them for 90 here in Canada. They come with a universal fit kit, they also can be used on airplanes, they are very well built. I've had them for over a year and they perform like the first day I bought them. I bought an extension for them 1/8" female to 1/8" male and a 1/4" converter to plug them into my mixer. These are serious headphones, I've used them on gigs and for practice, you can't go wrong for under $90.
Are there better ones? yes, but these will definitely do the job and more.

Do these earphones protect your hearing well?

I get a bit confused when looking at isolation earphones as I'm not sure how much they protect your ears. Like some are for just listening to music, others are for musicians that are also playing.

Yes, they protect your ears very well. when you buy them put them on and test them without any music coming through. Read the instructions very important.

Back