Time to work a little ATLAS magic

Salty Dog

Hey guys & girls,
I think I just figured out how I can transform my Ludwig Keystone Power beat config into a nice compact kit without any extra spending cash:

-First of all I'll remove the 22in Bass drum, Might use it as a secondary snare.
-16 in floor tom will be moved to the bass drum position and used as a floor tom and bass drum at its upright position. I will revert the bass drum pedal to able to hit the resonant side of the floor tom.
-Next I will mount the 12in tom on the floor tom/bass drum using the floor tom legs and the ATLAS mount of the 12in tom. It works I've done it before for some other application.
-While I'm on the subject of the Floor tom legs I will use both ATLAS scissor lift cymbal attachments to mount cymbals off the other 2 floor tom legs
-In my set-up I'd still like to include a hi-hat stand
-Finally the snare will be on a snare stand

I will try to post photos soon but I can already see this working and looking pretty cool.

Cool man, you're basically doing your own version of TAMA Silverstar Cocktail jam kit.

I have ATLAS mounts for various things on my Keystone kit - awesome stuff.

FYI for you or anyone, i have a brand new, unopened ATLAS mount I don't need. Willing to sell.

Cool man, you're basically doing your own version of TAMA Silverstar Cocktail jam kit.

I have ATLAS mounts for various things on my Keystone kit - awesome stuff.

FYI for you or anyone, i have a brand new, unopened ATLAS mount I don't need. Willing to sell.

Yup but I didn't want to use the term Cocktail kit since I will be sitting down.
If this works out well I might replace a lug on my snare for an ATLAS mount
and have the matching snare mounted on the floor tom too.

I can't wait to get this done and post pictures. I just have to take apart my ATLAS Pro pedal to be able to reverse it.

Sounds good. I gave thought to using the Atlas lugs and scissor lifts but they are very pricey. If they are already on your kit then its job done. I got rid of all my cymbal stands by using clamps to mount the cymbals on the HH stand, BD tom mount and clamping the ride cymbal boom to one of the floor tom legs. Saved a ton of weight and money as I already had the clamps, and the footprint of my kit is now much smaller. Might try a cocktail kit next.

Sounds good. I gave thought to using the Atlas lugs and scissor lifts but they are very pricey. If they are already on your kit then its job done. I got rid of all my cymbal stands by using clamps to mount the cymbals on the HH stand, BD tom mount and clamping the ride cymbal boom to one of the floor tom legs. Saved a ton of weight and money as I already had the clamps, and the footprint of my kit is now much smaller. Might try a cocktail kit next.

Yes the plan was to do this without spending more money. Luckily the Keystone I bought came with the ATLAS mounts already installed on floor tom and 12in tom. A set-back I faced this morning when putting it together was that for the 12in tom to attach to the floor tom legs I really have to lower the floor tom and if I do that well there's just no way for a BD pedal to be functional under the floor tom. So what I did is I kept a cymbal stand and have the tom hang from it. I wanted to do without it but right now it's a quick fix. I'll eventually get an extension rod and that should fix the problem.

Ok screw that! Couldn't get my hands on a tool to unscrew the bolt of the ATLAS Pro BD pedal to reverse it. Also one thing I did not think about was the floor tom reso head it has to be changed if I'm going to use it as a BD. And most importantly for the bit that I did try it out I didn't enjoy it.

Back