name of rihanna's drummer??

tweeked

anyone knows name of rihanna's drummer??
left-handed black guy who plays right-handed kit..I'm looking for the name but i cannot find by searches.
he plays with ultimate energy and power..and unlike all gospel-based drummers he has no overplaying actions just stay in groove..check it out :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GiQ8pGYrvOQ

Hes very good. At first thought I thought it may have been Gorden Campbell but I cannot be sure, there are not that many close ups and it does not look like a Pearl kit.

And I don't think he is left handed, he just plays open handed which is why I thought it was Gorden Campbell at first!

thanks for the answer!!
may be he is open handed becouse another video he plays right lead :)but may be he is not who played there.
the blacks have all the rnb pop bussiness and they sound perfect for the job.it's always great pleasure to listen performances like these.

no offence..!!
may be just a similarity but i think blacks have a different groove feeling perhaps another vision they have all.

Not to be nit picking here but stating that every black drummer has a different groove to any other race maybe be going a tad too far!

Not to be nit picking here but stating that every black drummer has a different groove to any other race maybe be going a tad too far!

This may sound a little bit too racists but I kindda agree with Tweeked....I am an Asian who has been playing the drums for 15 years...i always be able to notice the difference between black, white and asian drummer...they may have the same skill sets...certainly the groove is different....it's not the race that make the difference...... i think it is the culture that we are born from...if you watch Akira Jimbo ...he is a damn good player....but he plays almost strictly techniques with a lot less feel on the groove, a great white drummer like Steve Smith concentrate more on the grooving techniques and theory while the black drummers sometimes don't have any lessons and i have ask a lot of gospel based drummer. Their skill come mostly from 3+2 beats but they can groove the heck out of it. That's my opinion and again i don't try to be racists, it's just something that i have observe for years.

well whoever he is, he's got a sick groove. the fill he does at 1:14 is awesome. the gospel influence is very apparent.

Not all Gospel drummers over play. Flash is a part of that music, but I know folks who come from the Gospel background (same compound time patterns and linear fills) who will sit back and groove all night long. Of various races.

One of my favorite groove drummers is Toss Panos who is Greek.

Growing up in Hawaii there are Asians who groove like monsters and there are some who are stereotypically stiff.

And I know black musicians who are very intellectual in approach and have very little swing or groove. But some of them have forgotten more theory or complex rudiments than I'll ever learn. It all depends on where a musicians head it at and what aspect of the music they are attracted to. Ethnic and cultural forces may drive most folks towards different parts of the music, but it is really up to the individual where their focus lands.

While in the US, folks are very PC and adverse to any sort of racial profiling, growing up in Hawaii was different. There folks acknowledged their different ethnic backgrounds and weren't so sensitive about it. So I understand the OP's comments in context, without the overtly PC filter Americans are used to.

What has skin color got to do with it?

he's right. it's not racism, pretty much all of the big rnb/hiphop drummers are black.
mainly because they play Gospel chops from a young age.

just like most of the big rnb/hip hop producers are black too because they grow up in that environment.
get used to it.

p.s. chris johnson is real good

Back