Damage to new Sonor kit because of poor factory packaging

aspenleaf

I would like some opinions on how to deal with damage to a brand new kit because of poor packaging at the factory. I ordered a Sonor Select S Drive shell pack, and when it arrived I was disappointed to see that the inside of the 16" floor tom shell had many dents and scratches due to inadequate protection. They nested the 10" tom (complete with rims) inside the 16", and they wrapped the 10" tom with a very thin layer of cardboard and used three small styrofoam blocks to hold it in place. In transit one of the blocks came loose and the tom was rattling around inside of the 16", causing damage. Initially I didn't see the damage, but on close inspection it is quite apparent. I contacted the retailer and I'm awaiting a reply. The rest of the kit seems fine and it would be a waste to have to return the entire kit in stead of simply exchanging the 16" tom. This kit has been discontinued and I think I bought the last one the retailer had in stock. I put the heads on and the tom sounds good. Do you think this type of damage devalues the drum and is it worth returning the entire kit for a refund because of it?

Attachments

• Dents.jpg
    Dents.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 752
  • Dents2.jpg
    Dents2.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 746
  • Packaging.jpg
    Packaging.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 746
Dumb ass packaging and most definitely not done by the Sonor factory. Your retailer did this, no question.
Sonor would never send kits like that....neither the overseas factory nor the German factory.
I've seen local retailers do almost exactly the same thing. Shipping and packaging is often one of the most entry level jobs, and/or a job that many would rather not do at a store (have you ever packed up a drum kit for shipping? It's difficult!)...it's not always done with love and attention.

I would return and get money back or demand some kind of compensation.
Sad to see your new drums like that.

Well, you paid for an unused item and should expect it to be pristine.

You could return it.

Since they are as you say, out of production. If you can live with it you should offcourse be compensated. I would push that pretty far as it dampens you excitement and influences eventual resale value.

Dumb ass packaging [...]
I would return and get money back or demand some kind of compensation.
Sad to see your new drums like that.
+1 Return it. You will never be able to resell it at a reasonable price if you decide to sell it one day. You ordered and bought a NEW kit. This is just unacceptable.

Take it to the dealer, and have them order a new tom. When it comes in swap it for this damaged one. Do you know if it shipped from Sonor, or was it packed and shipped by the dealer. I'm guessing this came in two boxes from the factory and the dealer new touched it. They would have no need to.

Edit : having reread your post, I can't tell what you mean bye last one in stock. Did they take it off of the floor, or ship it from a shelf pre-packed from the factory. Either way, wait and see what the dealer says. Be nice and they will play nice. Bad press is never a good thing.

Yup, this is a retailer issue. It was probably a floor model, but they kept the original packaging and didn't bother trying to pack it up the same way it came originally.

It was in a Sonor box and didn't appear to have been opened. I think the retailer simply shipped it out of their warehouse without ever opening it, but I'm not sure. They are a major online e-tailer and I don't think they even have a retailer showroom. I would like to have Sonor simply exchange the tom, but I don't know if that's possible.

Man things like that can crush your enthusiasm-it would bug me to no end. It is on the inside and just cosmetic but there is the principal, and it is really banged up-but no breaks or cracks. One side of me says this would bug me forever nip it in the bud today but because of that I'd force myself to say lay it down dude and enjoy the kit-life is too long and if I put coated heads I wont see it and probably forget about it anyways. Hey maybe it will give it a special resonance by creating some wacky turbulence or butterfly effect. I'd keep it and demand financial compensation-like a lifetime supply of coated heads LOL.

Thanks for the replies. Your responses pretty much encapsulate my thoughts. I think it's such a shame because the drums were built very well and sound great, but because of poor packaging one of the drums suffered this damage. Seems like false economy to skimp on packing materials when the cost and hassle to deal with the damage could have easily been avoided.

I'll wait to hear from the dealer before I make a decision on what to do. I do feel that I should get a replacement in pristine condition since it's a brand new kit. I don't want to just accept the damage because I know it would bug me, and eventually I may sell the drums and it seems it would devalue them somewhat. As far as it affecting the sound, I guess I won't know if it does since I never heard it before it was damaged.

Save these photos so that down the road if you decide to sell the prospective buyer will know you didn't abuse them.

Here's an update. I spoke with the dealer and they are unable to simply exchange the damaged drum since it's part of a complete shell pack. However, they have a few more kits in stock, so they are sending out another one and I can have both kits here, check them over and pick the pieces I want to keep to make a complete shell pack, then return the damaged kit. They are covering all the shipping. I did have to put the second kit on my credit card, which is understandable. Hopefully the second kit will be OK and if not, I can come up with an undamaged full kit between the two packages. If not, I'll either have to return both for a refund or try contacting Sonor about an exchange of the tom. I also found a chip in the rim of the 10" tom that was rattling around inside the 16".
So I'm glad the dealer is taking care of this and I'll let you know what happens when I receive the other kit in a few days.

Glad you have action but why do you have to buy the 2nd kit?
You are now out of pocket '2 kits worth'. They should be out of pocket for the 2nd kit while you wait to get a new undamaged kit you ordered in the 1st place.

They offered to put a hold on the second kit and ship it when the first kit arrived at their warehouse, but I was concerned that the second kit would also have damage from inadequate internal packing. So I asked if they would send out a second one while I still had the first one here, but they would only do that if I let them charge my card. I was able to put the second kit on a 36 month no interest plan, so I figured I would have a refund for the first kit before any payments were due. I felt it was fair.

Here's an update. The second kit just arrived. I opened the box with the 16" tom and sure enough, the same situation with inadequate packing around the 10" tom. The result, of course, is damage to the inside of the 16" shell. This time the 10" tom was on it's side and the damage isn't as extensive, but it's damaged none the less. If anyone else bought one of these kits, could you tell me if yours was packed this way, and if you had a similar issue? Am I expecting too much? This is a brand new kit and it doesn't seem possible to get one without damage.

Attachments

• Packing.jpg
    Packing.jpg
    749.1 KB · Views: 558
  • 16-Tom-Damage.jpg
    16-Tom-Damage.jpg
    880.7 KB · Views: 560
I should have waited until I checked over the drum before my last post. This is the batter side of the 16" tom:

Attachments

• 16-Tom-crack.jpg
    16-Tom-crack.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 556
  • 16-Tom-crack2.jpg
    16-Tom-crack2.jpg
    717.5 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Yikes! It looks like the lug is missing metal? Really? More leverage for you on the next thing.

So sorry. That's twice now. At least you don't have to suffer alone.

I'm suffering too :(

Back