Is this Papa Jo?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Caught the original Blues Brothers movie tonight. During the scene with James Brown (Reverend Cleophus) I swear I saw Papa Jo on the drums. I googled it, and struck out.

You can catch glimpses here and there, but right around the 1 minute mark, and other places, there's a pretty clear shot of the drummer. Little help? Is that Papa Jo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZVhzVTBDvA

Definitely NOT Jo Jones.

Not sure who it is, though.

I don't think it's Willie.

The band in that scene was a gospel band, James Cleveland's Southern California Community Choir. It will be pretty hard to determine who was playing drums with him at that time. There isn't much in the way of credits listed online for most of their older records. Unless you happen to have one of their older records...

I can, however, give you a bit of useless trivia regarding the other drummer in the movie: That was long time Muddy Waters band member, Willie "Big Eyes" Smith backing up John Lee Hooker playing "Boom Boom". Pinetop Perkins, Big Walter Horton, Luther "Guitar Jr", and Calvin Jones too.

Willie was in the Blues Brothers band.I don't think it was Papa Jo Jones.

He played with pretty much a smile on his face almost all of the time,and he was a bit more animated than that drummer was.

Steve B

I agree it's not.

Papa's hair line was far more receded than the person in the clip.

And while Jo Jones was alive when the movie was made, he would have been older than the person in this clip.

Back