Coltrane's GIant steps - smart music?

aydee

Platinum Member

Rudresh Mahanthappa, one of todays hottest alto players says that some of the most powerful, passionate inspired music also turns out to also be incredibly smart music. Most of it is well concieved, well thought out and coming from a very smart place and yet it moves the soul.Magic happens when intellect meets instict.

Charlie Parker, Duke, Coltrane were like that.. Bach, Beethhoven and Bartok, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson in the pop world and the list goes on.

If you 'pretend' to sight read Coltrane's Giant Steps, https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2kotK9FNEYU#at=280, it certainly re enforces the feeling.

any thoughts?

I remember coming across that music vid and being astounded at how clever it was.

It makes sense that smart people will enjoy smart music, not to mention smart TV programs, movies, art etc.

bell_curve.gif

The graph tells us that 84% of people are either around average intelligence or below so it makes sense that a great deal of those people are producing art that their intellectual peers will relate to in a way that Rudresh Mahanthappa won't.

RM will be tickled by music produced by his peers, things that may well not speak to many of the 84%. For the 16% who are above average, smart art is like a breath of fresh air in what can feel like an ocean of cliches, transparent formulas and obvious emotional manipulation. I love a mix of smarts and visceral appeal - be it The Who, Beatles, Steelies, Zappa, Crimson, etc

Having said that, I much prefer Trane's ethereal side like A Love Supreme to Giant Steps. It's too muso-nerdy for me lol ... I'll leave that for those who are probably music's equivalent to Sheldon :)

Back