AAX Studio Cymbals

D2 Drummer

Hi everyone,

I made a trip to my local music store a day ago in search for new hi hats to replace my xs20's. I took my time and purchased Sabian 14" AAX Studio Hats, which i really like a lot. I was too lazy to come back in search for a ride, so i just bought the 20" Studio ride too. I like the feel of the ride when playing on it, but I'm not so sure of the crash ability.

My main goal with cymbals is to have a hi hat, one crash and a crash/ride as my primary cymbals. I would like to know what people think of the ride

i have a 20" AAX studio ride and i've been using it a lot lately. i like it because when it's used as a ride cymbal it has a nice smooth sound and it's not too loud. my band has been playing at a restaurant lately where we have to be quiet and this cymbal works pretty well for that. for louder music it can work as a crash/ride, but you have to lay into it. like you said, it's not the best crash cymbal, although it can be crashed.

I use the same cymabal but use the 13" hats, should have gotten the 14" , still good though.
For the 18" ride crash I use a Sabian El Sabor, very vesatile so I bought another ride and got the 20" AA El Sabor, great ride and bell and wonderful crash qualities as well.
The AAX ride I think is the all around winner for varied styles of music. You made a good choice in my opinion.

I've had a 20" AAX Studio Ride for 15+ years and I love it! I love a nice washy ride, but it can also sound pretty clean when you need it to. Sounds great live and great in the studio. Great ride, no regrets. It's not super crash-y but you can definitely crash with it. I've played a couple of shows with just hats, crash and the ride and it worked great! I LOVE that cymbal! :)

i have a 20" AAX studio ride and i've been using it a lot lately. i like it because when it's used as a ride cymbal it has a nice smooth sound and it's not too loud. my band has been playing at a restaurant lately where we have to be quiet and this cymbal works pretty well for that. for louder music it can work as a crash/ride, but you have to lay into it. like you said, it's not the best crash cymbal, although it can be crashed.

Yeah i agree, i think it has just the right about of ping and wash. I'm not that big on the crash though because i wanted a versatile ride, since that would be my only one. But I'm going to keep this ride

Back