Best Drum Album of 2018

Not listed in the article, but I will say that JP Gaster's performance on the new Clutch album reminds me why I picked up a set of sticks in the first place.

Not listed in the article, but I will say that JP Gaster's performance on the new Clutch album reminds me why I picked up a set of sticks in the first place.

I'll add that one to the list of albums to check out. Thanks for the suggestion.

For me it’s the album ‘All that Divides’ by the band Black Peaks.

Their drummer is instantly talented and does some very cool things with time signatures changes/displacements.

Has great chops also and the drums are mixed great too.

Ticks all the boxes, for me.

Saw them this past Sunday with Sevendust in Philadelphia. Fantastic drummer and album . I’ll say the same for Morgan Rose ( sevendust), on their new album “All I See Is War”.

The best albums with the best drumming are in my opinon the albums where the drums are not noticed immediately at first hearing, but where they just fit exactly to the total of the music..

The albums that are concidered 'drummer-drummers' albums, are 9 times out of 10 artisticly complete non-products, where every 'melody' or 'composition' is only there to feature the fantastic technical playing of the musicians involved, see for example almost the complete fusion-catalogue from the end 80's till now..

There are ofcourse 100's albums to choose from, but i will vote..:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 258
The best albums with the best drumming are in my opinon the albums where the drums are not noticed immediately at first hearing, but where they just fit exactly to the total of the music..

The albums that are concidered 'drummer-drummers' albums, are 9 times out of 10 artisticly complete non-products, where every 'melody' or 'composition' is only there to feature the fantastic technical playing of the musicians involved, see for example almost the complete fusion-catalogue from the end 80's till now..

There are ofcourse 100's albums to choose from, but i will vote..:

I'm with you on this one.

The near total absence of ladies at drummer-drummers performances may explain why I tend to classify them in the mental masturbation department...

My vote goes to Mammal Hands, the new album entitled Becoming.

Are you talking about the brand new one or Psychic warfare? I thought the drums on psychic warfare were absolutely amazing in terms of sound. Not quite as good on the latest though, playing wise he's always a beast, but the huge sound of that last album blew me away.

I wouldn't know what to say about a drum album. What's that? An album with only drums?

I'm sure many would look at many of my favourite albums like those non- products. lol

Something like this will all be about musical taste.

I like groove and improvisation. A jazz tune is generally 80-90% improvisation. That's the whole idea. "Technical" or not hopefully it's dynamic and expressive and a has a vibe that shows people are listening, playing well together, supporting the soloist in a meaningful way....

Wether it's Karizma going full on at the spud or Jan Garbarek doing his thing, it's all equally valid to me.

With the amount of practicing I do apart from spending my days teaching others how to play, it's amazing how little I really listen to music. There are some albums that stand out. I don't listen to them like I used to, but I know how much I used to and how they influenced my own style.

Are you talking about the brand new one or Psychic warfare? I thought the drums on psychic warfare were absolutely amazing in terms of sound. Not quite as good on the latest though, playing wise he's always a beast, but the huge sound of that last album blew me away.

Have you seen them live? If not you gotta check them out live. I first saw Clutch maybe 20 years ago. They were opening for Slayer. I had never heard of them, but after that I went out the next day to pick up a CD. I’m not really a slayer fan, but I appreciate their ferocity when playing live, but IMO Clutch outshined them on monsterous playing. Granted they’re completely different styles, but Clutch laid it down and dropped the mic.

Back