radio king

Publius

slingerland radio king, 7 x 14. three-point (no clam shell!), cool finish. no ply separation or any other issues. $600 plus shipping.
email at [email protected]

Attachments

• radio king 1.jpg
    radio king 1.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 331
  • radio king 2.jpg
    radio king 2.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 320
  • radio king 3.jpg
    radio king 3.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 323
  • radio king 4.jpg
    radio king 4.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 332
Beautiful drum, no doubt.

But if you are serious about selling the thing, you'd post this in the classifieds sections. You're likely to get a far better response there.

If its a Radio King it is not a ply but a steam bent solid shell. Or am I wrong?

What commonly does separate is the re reing from the steambent shell. Similar to ply separation, Can inject carpenters glue and clamp, but sometimes the re ring dries and shrinks a bit more than shell and will open up again, I have better luck filling the gap with clear or a glue sawdust mix.

What commonly does separate is the re reing from the steambent shell. Similar to ply separation, Can inject carpenters glue and clamp, but sometimes the re ring dries and shrinks a bit more than shell and will open up again, I have better luck filling the gap with clear or a glue sawdust mix.

Yeah I get that. I've made similar repairs myself using a liquid epoxy (West - often used for marine and nautical) which is good because it has a lower viscosity than PVA. But West epoxy is hugely expensive.

When you say 'inject carpenters glue' I assume you mean white PVA? Do you dilute it at all to make it easier to inject? And do you inject it with a syringe or some other device?

I have a very old, ply shelled, slingerland drum where the glue-rings have separated from the shell a little and would like to fix it up but without the expense of bying a half-litre of West epoxy for such a small job.

i apologize for posting this in the wrong place; it was an honest mistake. and by "ply separation," i meant re-ring separation. it is indeed a 1-piece steam bent shell. thanks.

Nice snare!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your snare is not actually a Radio King. From the badge on your drum, it dates it squarely into 1957-1962 which is "no man's land" for Radio Kings. No catalog Radio Kings were offered at this point (except for a misprint in one of the catalogs where a "student" Radio King was mistakingly offered). Your snare has the exact make up of the Radio Kings that came before and after, solid maple shell and all, but it has the new Sound King lug casings, which makes it a Sound King model, and more specifically, with the three-point "Radio King" strainer, it's a Gene Krupa model. I know this because I went through this exact dialogue with a Slingerland expert about a snare I had, exactly like yours. I said, "No way! You're full of it!" I looked it up online, and he was right, dangit. Still an awesome snare--a Radio King in every way except for name.

Damn! Why don't they have internal dampeners on modern snares... they're so useful!!

You can always install them yourself! :D

...I guess there are so many ways to dampen a drum from the OUTSIDE (moongel, rings, etc...) that drum manufacturers don't feel the need to install them anymore...

Last edited:
+1.Caddy is absolutely correct.That badge is not serial numbered,so technically,is a super gene krupa model,not a radio king,although it is the same drum.The radio king does not reappear in the catalogue till around 64,with a serial numbered badge.

Its confusing,but collectors live and breathe by catalogue info.

Steve B

Thanks for the confirmation, Steve.

I don't live and breathe catalog info, 'cause I'm not a collector...I just happen to have a LOT of information about a few very specific drums I have come across in my time. This is one of them.

Caddy--I didn't mean you were a collector.I was just infering that collectors in general,can be fussy when identifing vintage drums,thereby affecting thier value.

Steve B

Back