Learning from masters

Great stuff. The funny thing about it is that people say it's about the quarter note, but if anything it's about the upbeat. It's exactly the opposite.

wow! what a little gem of a clip !! Thanks youtube, Phil.

( PS- Thanks Todd, minimizing emotion was something else too. This man is deep! )

Last edited:
Just checking out minimising emotion. Wy always says a similar thing - there's no jazz drumming or metal drumming or whatever - it's all just drumming. You hardly ever hear the real core stuff like this. Love the attack/decay thoughts.

Amazed that there's not 100 posts here, excited about the insights. I truly don't understand human beings.

Amazed that there's not 100 posts here, excited about the insights. I truly don't understand human beings.

It touches on deeper stuff away from the usual chops and gear obsession topics Polly :}

Hal's great... went to his master class some 22 years back for all musicians...amazing player and musical thinker.

wow! brilliant. Thank you sir for posting this. I had never heard of this guy before now but everything he said is pure gold. I am bookmarking his website stat.

Polly I'd have to agree.. if you are in any way trying to improve your playing and a pro drummer says "hey watch this"... you F-in watch it. :-D

I really hope some younger players will watch this and have an increased awareness of the kind of time and effort it takes to be a musician. I hope they develop an appreciation and respect. I hope they change their attitude about what has value in this world. And what does not.

For every 50,000 american idol bimbos....there is 1 Hal Galper.
(I actually met one and she didnt know who James Brown was. Also thought that Micheal Jackson had invented all those dance moves. So very sad)

Peace
PM

PS Please join my facebook page if you havent. Im always on it.

Cool video and nice thoughts, but without time, how can you know where you are and where to place your syncopations? If you started playing "dowappadidadawappadida" in other music genres than jazz, wouldnt that be unfitting?

The only thing Hal said that I felt uncomfortable with was the idea that adults don't play repetitions; intimating that it's a childish approach to music. I think ostinato rhythms and riffs are highly effective musical devices and I'm (sadly) a very long way from being a child.

He might just be talking about bop but there seemed to be no qualification. Music that's effectively a flowing stream of consciousness, where almost nothing is repeated the same way, is sophisticated and often satisfying but there's still much (adult) joy to be had from ostinatos.

Last edited:
Somebody famous said " anybody can play a note", the music lies between the notes- ( something like that ). Hal's observations about the overtones between the notes, and draining the excess emotion away really brought this quote to life & totally blew me away.

When I see someone Iike Hal, I kick myself for not seeking an inspirational teacher and really digging deep & learning to do what I love most.

Cool video and nice thoughts, but without time, how can you know where you are and where to place your syncopations? If you started playing "dowappadidadawappadida" in other music genres than jazz, wouldnt that be unfitting?

HI Thard. It fits everywhere. In every genre. All you need to know is the main cycle Hal is talking about. He is talking specifically about bop in the clips but... Its the most common cycle used in western music, Rock, fusion Jazz etc. Its just taking bits of it and putting it in the right place. Of course rhythmic and musical structure is essential to using that too. Every one from Bonham, Mitchell, Tony Williams, Elvin, Buddy, Krupa, Bellson, Gadd, Mayer, Bozzio, Smith....Everyone....uses this cycle and it just fits in different genres a bit differently.

If you need help I will guide to some things.
PM

Back