PROTECT YOUR EARS - ear plugs, hearing loss, deafness

I am new here but just happened to run across this post, and thought I would put my two cents in : )

Check out JamPlugs; they are earphones that look like earplugs, and they function like combining the two to block drumming while monitoring quite nicely.

http://www.JamPlugs.com

I am new here but just happened to run across this post, and thought I would put my two cents in : )

Check out JamPlugs; they are earphones that look like earplugs, and they function like combining the two to block drumming while monitoring quite nicely.

http://www.JamPlugs.com

Thanks for the info but I would be aware of the statement on the manufacturer's website.

Are JamPlugs certified hearing protection?
No. While JamPlugs may appear to have the same hearing protective properties of standard industrial earplugs, the foam used to isolate extraneous noise, has been altered in order to properly channel sound from the speakers. Since this is the case, our products have not been tested by OSHA for their decibel reduction ratings, and should not be considered as hearing protection.

Jeff

The opening post in this threat intrigues me because of this:

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq.jpg

A couple of months ago, after I got my hearing aids (which I needed primarily because of 50+ years of drumming), I discovered that I was hearing the most complex and musically satisfying sounds ever from my cymbals. Shimmering and vibration I hadn't been able to hear in several decades, so I'd forgotten it was even there.

With my hearing aids in (wish I could think of something cooler to call them), I get all the conversation, background and foreground noise and music, and much less of the risk because they're set to keep the decibel level no louder than 100db. Anything over that level automatically is dampened down to it.

I'm bringing this up primarily to say that if you discover you need to augment and/or protect your hearing don't hesitate - if you get the right stuff you'll never be sorry.

Of course, all gunshots now sound like 22s, but, hey, as long as you stay away from the wrong kinds of women (those with jealous men) everything'll be fine, right?

Last edited:
loss of hearing becomes crucial as you get older and are married!! you always have an excuse for not hearing the wife. :)

I keep trying to use ear protection and i got use to no highs for a while there( only at practice...) its been a bit hard to keep up still trying, but is there any type of ear protection that keeps it sounding the same and drops all volume not just muffles everything?
My hearing aids do that (see my earlier post). But at $5000 for the pair with very few insurance companies contributing anything (my insurance is absolutely the best and it only covered 2 grand), the price is a bit steep.

Technology being what it is, though, I'm figuring that if the manufacturers can do it for this much money now they'll be able to do it for much less in the foreseeable future. Of course, then the question becomes, "Will they want to?" which in my experience has as its answer, "Only if forced to."

But if a smart music tech company got into this as a musician's tool on a mass production basis things might fall into place. Know anyone?

Sorry if i missed it throughout the entire post, but with my Firth headphones, my toms seem really loud. The overtones just kill, i almost don't like using my toms. I was thinking of getting actual earplugs instead of using my Firths. Any advice?

Why hasn't this thread been stickied? It discusses an extremely important issue that must be brought to all drummers.

Sorry if i missed it throughout the entire post, but with my Firth headphones, my toms seem really loud. The overtones just kill, i almost don't like using my toms. I was thinking of getting actual earplugs instead of using my Firths. Any advice?
For me, every drum sound seems "wrong" with any kind of protection I've tried except the hearing aids. My thought, in those circumstances, is just to keep trying things until you find the "Least Objectionable Wrongness," which is, I suppose, just a more pragmatic way of saying, "what works best for you."

While I was getting my pennies together for my hearing aids, I practiced using the same kind of sound suppressor headphones you use at the shooting range. Playing alone, it was kind of interesting. All ringing/overtones were gone from drums and cymbals. All I heard was the initial sound made by my sticks contacting them, and as a result I was able to appreciate much more of what I was doing right and wrong. They suck when playing with others, though.

Just wanted to pitch in with my enthusiasm for the Vic Firth isolation headphones. I use them on all loud-ish gigs & for any practice session where I'm playing anywhere close to loud.

They seem to offer a Pre-EQ effect that I really like. It's rather like hearing a recording of your kit with all the harshness rolled off.

Back