Taking A Break

Pocketman

Well, after 15 years of constant gigging on the weekends and some weekdays, I've decided to take a break. Of course I love playing the drums and the band I'm in, but I'm beat from the travelling, up till 4 in the morning and missing time away from friends and family.

I haven't picked up the sticks in about a week by choice. I'm getting itchy and I'm the kind of player who needs to consistently play in order to keeps the chops up. But, I do feel relaxed and like the fact (for now) that the weekends are all mine for whatever I want to do.

I was wondering if anyone else out there feels like I do. I love the drums, but it's the work I need the break form.

Well, after 15 years of constant gigging on the weekends and some weekdays, I've decided to take a break. Of course I love playing the drums and the band I'm in, but I'm beat from the travelling, up till 4 in the morning and missing time away from friends and family.

I haven't picked up the sticks in about a week by choice. I'm getting itchy and I'm the kind of player who needs to consistently play in order to keeps the chops up. But, I do feel relaxed and like the fact (for now) that the weekends are all mine for whatever I want to do.

I was wondering if anyone else out there feels like I do. I love the drums, but it's the work I need the break form.

Don't beat yourself up over it, it's called burnout. We all go through it. I went almost a year and a half without playing, just got burned out and lost the desire to play. Just like work you need a vacation from playing at times and there is nothing wrong with that. Especially when you get into the long weekends getting in late (or early depending on how you look at it.) time away from family and other interests you may have.

I'd say that you're lucky you're able to do that! There's a lot of people around who either

1) Make the majority of their income from playing or,
2) Would have so many calls for good gigs that they couldn't get out of the cycle.

So in your case, good for you! More power to you. I suspect that when you do go back, you'll find yourself playing more interesting, musical things. Taking a break often opens your mind.

Can't say I feel exactly like you, but understand wanting more time with family and friends. That's always been something that weighs heavy on my mind... how much of life am I missing out on because of my musical commitments? Sure it brings new friends and new experiences, but it's not quite the same as being close to family or long time friends.

As an interesting side note, when ever I'm not playing for even a few days, I almost get bored, like I don't know what to do with myself. What do regular people do?

Anyways, enjoy your time away! Get some sleep! Dry out for a while...

I go through periods like your going through but instead of not playing I woodshed and just don't gig. I go through a book and try to expand my abilities.

Thenk you come back fresh and with new skills

With drumming being my primary source of income, and the career growing constantly, and band members depending on me, I could not do what you are doing, but I am a little jealous! I don't want to step down, but have wanted to in the past (but just pushed through it). I do miss my friends and stuff, though. I used to be a really social guy. Now, I play 5-6 times a week, every week, except for those weeks where I play more than that. I rarely talk to my non-musician friends, and when I do, all I have to talk about is my music and band stuff. A lot of them are kind of negative about it all, because they miss me. It's weird.

In life, you have to make sacrifices in order to get what you want. I am living my dream, so don't think of this as a complaint. It's just that sometimes I look at the sacrifices and feel a little sad that we can't all have everything we want.

Back