Review on Shure SM-57 copy

Kg_lee

I recently purchased the Seismic Audio SA-M20 microphone out of curiosity how well it compared to a real Shure SM-57.

Well after trying them both out me and the guys in my band could not hear any difference between the mic's what so ever. So for those of you out there looking for a good deal these really do work at less than half the price.

I got mine for $35 with a x-mas special but for the $40 they want for them well worth it!

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/Dynamic-Uni-Directional-Microphone-p/sa-m20.htm

It looks almost like a direct copy of the SM57, but not hearing one I can't comment on its sound. I just added four more Shure SM 57s to my collection a couple of weeks ago. After the discounts and rebates, I got them for $65 USD each. I may have to try the SA-M20 just to evaluate it.

Dennis

It looks almost like a direct copy of the SM57, but not hearing one I can't comment on its sound. I just added four more Shure SM 57s to my collection a couple of weeks ago. After the discounts and rebates, I got them for $65 USD each. I may have to try the SA-M20 just to evaluate it.

Dennis

I would check it out. Between 3 of my friends who are well schooled musicians and I know sound, none of us could hear the difference.

I also use the Behringer XM8500 which is a copy of the Shure 58 which is a bit hotter but sounds great. I'm using these mic's for one they work the other is I do live sound for bands and some people can be careless so I'd rather a $20 to $40 mic get ruined than a $100 mic. The price of the XM8500 is $20-$25 depending on where you get it.

I would love to hear one mounted next to a 57 on a snare, record at the same time an a-b them.

I just grabbed 3 used 57s used for 40 each

You need to do a video review of the mic getting dunked in a beer mug, and then hammering a nail into a wall. Then I'll be convinced to get a few ;)

How true!

Back about 10 years ago, a member of the band that played the saxophone, dropped his SM 57 and it landed on a concrete floor on the "business" end. He still uses that same mic to this very day.

But on the other hand, I have some cheap SM 57 copies that sound pretty darn good but doubt they would survive the abuse a 57 does!

How true!

Back about 10 years ago, a member of the band that played the saxophone, dropped his SM 57 and it landed on a concrete floor on the "business" end. He still uses that same mic to this very day.

But on the other hand, I have some cheap SM 57 copies that sound pretty darn good but doubt they would survive the abuse a 57 does!

I understand what you are saying they still work after that abuse but that's not really what they are designed for.

I have a QSC powered PA and it came with a video of them throwing them off a building and they hit the ground and bounce and then plug them in and still work. Just one of those speakers cost $1400. Now would you spend $1400 and throw your gear off a building just to test and see what you seen in their video true?

I understand what you are saying they still work after that abuse but that's not really what they are designed for.

I have a QSC powered PA and it came with a video of them throwing them off a building and they hit the ground and bounce and then plug them in and still work. Just one of those speakers cost $1400. Now would you spend $1400 and throw your gear off a building just to test and see what you seen in their video true?

Well, no. But a $90 microphone? Sure!

;)

I was just making a point about how tough the 57s are.....which most likely can't be said for some imitation version of that mic.

The sax player dropped his on accident...it was not intentional. And no....I would not throw equipment off a building just because they say you can.

Hard to argue this point. Reminds me of the guy who called Microsoft to report a bug that if you hold down the Shift key and hammer F7 over and over on a Windows Server that it blue screens. Microsoft's official recommendation, don't do that.

I was just making a point about how tough the 57s are.....which most likely can't be said for some imitation version of that mic.

The sax player dropped his on accident...it was not intentional. And no....I would not throw equipment off a building just because they say you can.

Well your claiming this copy won't work after being in beer did you try it? And I'm almost positive that the Shure mic may have worked after being in beer but I really bet something about it is not the same.

My point of the post for those who want to save money and not put your mic's in beer this 57 copy is a great buy and work and sounds just like a shure SM57!

nice find. i mainly borrow ribbon mics from some people atm but might get one for live stuff

Back