Reso head-snare

soulfly28

Please forgive this, read a lot of the snare tuning posts but one question remains unanswered to me. Do you give your Reso head CPR like the batter head? I have a snare I gave never got to sound good. Ordered new lug inserts for it, from the UK cause mine are missing. Plan on replacing both heads and basically starting all I've on it. Currently I have a Remo snare side reso head. I have tried a Evans genera and a coated ambassador. If you do a search on here for "is this snare tuned too high", you'll find the sound I am getting out of an African mahogany shell. Anyways, but to question, CPR on Reso head, yes or no?

What is CPR? Do you mean pushing on the head to "set" it. I never set any of my heads. I usually tune them a bit higher than i want and then lower them the next day so that if they are going to stretch at all it will be done over night.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm describing. This is a last effort on this snare before I put it in my yard and burn it!!!

What's the snare? It's very rare that you can't get a usable sound out of a snare. I can even get my old Pearl steel model sounding decent.

I want to just run something by you. Are you sure your snare wires are the right way around? I've felt like you before only to discover that they were installed incorrectly.

Olympic were Premier's student model of the time, but should still put out a useable sound. Have you checked if the shell is round? Also, have you checked the condition of the bearing edges? Both are critical to the drum's ability to tune up & sound good.

I have cleaned the bearing edge along with hitting it with 500 grit sandpaper. Have not checked the round yet. The sandpaper was last week, not a factor in how long I have been working on this kit.

Back