Good enough to get through a gig

Unless he has a 5 dollar Basix pedal he’s not going to have a bad time

It's just an old Yamaha pedal. Seems to work!

Thanks so much for everyone's advice so far. I'm practicing both techniques (when I can find the time): they seem to complement one another anyway, I think? I find if I play heel up for fifteen minutes, my heel down playing gets better and vice versa...

I'm also a longtime guitar player that starting putting ALOT of effort into drumming 6-7 years back, so I can relate.

Is this a 4-hour cover gig? If so, I'd be worried about stamina. It took me a LONG time to get the stamina up to play 4-hours. Heel up, heel down, whatever... My body would give out. LOL

Good luck and enjoy!

Ha! No, not at all: we've a 20-minute opening set. But it'll be a proper show with at least a hundred there, I think, and a good touring headline act with radio play and a strong following.

Ha! No, not at all: we've a 20-minute opening set. But it'll be a proper show with at least a hundred there, I think, and a good touring headline act with radio play and a strong following.

Awesome! I enjoy drums more than i ever imagined. Good luck!

Definitely heel up with knee slightly bent - or a hybrid where you sit back until your heel is almost touching and your leg is more outstretched. In both cases think of hammering the ball of your big toe down for volume and keep your heel out of the way (or to the side) so the beater bounces back.

I find heel down great for pulling the beater away naturally but harder on the ankle joints - unless you are Thomas Lang - then all bets are off! That guy kills with heel down..

Back