Quick soundproof (room-in-room) question

I'm lucky enough to be able to build a room-within-a-room from scratch (at least I think I am, I'm doing the budget now). But I'm building it in Mexico, where almost everything is made from brick and/or concrete block.

My goal is to build the outer shell from standard building materials (again, brick or block) and then build the inside room with either wood-frame, brick-frame, or iron-frame and drywall (and all the other baffle materials).

I'm reading "Keep the Peace!" to get the basic steps, but obviously most North Americans think of building in terms of wood. He recommends the outer shell be built with insulation but that doesn't really work with a brick-and-cement wall.

Does anybody have pointers as to what I should do to the inside of the outer shell before building the inner shell? Will a straightforward brick-and-cement outer wall be better or worse than an insulated wood outer shell?

Thanks!

Hi
Several comments...mass/density of each surface(walls,ceiling and floors). You want high density materials( for example lead! minimize contact between interior room and exterior room and air space between both system. Double layer Sheetrock, mylar(plastic sheets), concrete and seal all openings!
Multiple wall systems not connect to each other. The air spaces lead to a substantial drop in DB levels.
You will also need air conditioning, light and power! Other comments you should use independent doors in wall system
For air condtioning just go with a split system.
Good luck and have fun!
Denis

You can't do much to insulate the outer wall but lay some carpet on it to stop the sound reflections. I used a wooden frame, sound proofing insulation bats and fire grade gyprock on my inner wall. I used chicken wire to hold the bats in the frame. This worked pretty well but in your situation I would def research using concrete. Maybe the sound absorbing materials are better off inside on the inner wall's surface, no idea. Let us know what you end up doing.

I'm lucky enough to be able to build a room-within-a-room from scratch (at least I think I am, I'm doing the budget now). But I'm building it in Mexico, where almost everything is made from brick and/or concrete block.

My goal is to build the outer shell from standard building materials (again, brick or block) and then build the inside room with either wood-frame, brick-frame, or iron-frame and drywall (and all the other baffle materials).

I'm reading "Keep the Peace!" to get the basic steps, but obviously most North Americans think of building in terms of wood. He recommends the outer shell be built with insulation but that doesn't really work with a brick-and-cement wall.

Does anybody have pointers as to what I should do to the inside of the outer shell before building the inner shell? Will a straightforward brick-and-cement outer wall be better or worse than an insulated wood outer shell?

Thanks!

Brick or block is dense - very good! In fact, I think it would be better than a wooden wall. The ultimate is being underground and the next thing is having cement, stone or block walls. I would think you would want to put a layer of insulation between the inner and outer wall. Having your inner room of brick and your outer room of brick would be excellent, better than any wooden structure could ever do. If you had to pick one, I'd say go with a brick outer room as it will last longer and a wooden inner room will be easier to wire and modify.

Reviving this to ask a question: I've done research, read a few books, and I find that what will probably be best would be just handing someone cash and having them hand me a standard design for a sound-proof room.

Does anybody know of a service that handles that? I could speak to a generic architect but I imagine in this age of specialization there must be someone who makes these rooms all the time, hopefully online, who can consult.

A brick or filled cinderblock wall is very high mass and makes an excellent enclosure for a studio/practice room. You just want a highly isolated inner surface for your interior walls. A light gauge steel stud wall is very lossy. You don't want anything between the interior drywall and the masonry wall though. Just moisture barrier and insulation. Don't try to put an outward facing layer of drywall and tilt the walls up. You probably have much more work to do with your roof as far as leakage. And if you don't have a vestibule with very heavy doors on both the exterior and the room entrance, then the door will be your weak link and negate any cleverness with the walls. If all you're going to have is a single door, (however heavy) then putting furring, iso clips and hanging the interior drywall off hat channel on the iso clips will outperform your door.

Back