Long Time Player with horrible Technique

Semaj

Hello everyone,

My name is James Boyd and I've been playing since the age of 10, and i am 22 now. I play by ear, and i taught myself how to play by listening to music and just jamming to it. I play at my church every Sunday, playing old hymns and things of that nature.

Im beginning to notice that I have horible technique, so I'm deciding to start fresh, like I just picked up a pair of drumsticks for the first time.

I'm looking for some suggestions on every aspect of drumming, whether it be rudiments, how to properly tune my drums, proper way to hold the sticks, how to properly kick the bass pedal, anything like that.

Does anybody have some suggestions where I can go to help elevate my technique? I feel like I hit a plateau and need some help!

You won't get a straight answer to technique here. What you will get is the phrase, get a teacher. Talking technique here is like religion or politics. In the end, you have to research all the available techniques, and figure out for yourself which one is the best fit for you and your particular musical situation. Then teach your self or get taught. And there so many existing threads on the other topics you mentioned that if you do a tuning search, you won't have to wait for answers. Everything has already been asked lol.

Or...work around your lack of technique and just play good time with good ideas. That'll make you better than 90% of drummers.

Teacher = best option.

If you're going the DVD route - check out JoJo Mayer's DVD on hand technique.
As for posture/drumkit setup in an ergonomic way & perfecting your bass drum technique - check out Matt Ritter's "Unburying The Beater" DVD or, for a plethora of bass drum techniques at mind-boggling speed - Tim Waterson's DVD (2-DVD set).

Rework the rudiments you already know, start very slowly. Learn some rudiments you haven't learned yet. Practice the left hand version of each of them. Watch your hands - they should look as identical as possible (stick height, angles, fulcrum point/grip etc). Practice in front of a mirror at times, this helps identifying problems/issues with posture etc.

I know this is what most will say

but it sounds like you would really enjoy some time with a good teacher

learning an instrument is not like the old days when instructors were drill sergeants who told you there was a right way and a wrong way ........we are cool as shit now :)

seek out a good teacher.....it sounds like you are ready to absorb like a sponge and have fun doing it

its not like it is something you will regret

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I am left handed and play with my hi hats on the right. If i were to go the teacher route, will there be an issue with him teaching me, knowing that most drummers play the opposite than me?

No issues. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you're probably not the first left handed drummer to seek a teacher.

Back