What's on your bass drum reso head?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Do you have drum brand stickers? Drum shop stickers? Artwork? Plain?

I run a full front head that has a chrome finish, nothing else. (Remo Starfire head) The chrome finish looks mesmerizing when I play it, so I'm not messing with it.

If you have artwork, could you tell us how you did it? Any story behind the artwork? Feel free to embellish your thoughts about what to do with the BD reso head.

I have a daughter going to SCAD- an art school. She has really done well receiving lots of positive encouragement from her profs to go ahead and start showing her work at art galleries-they usually don't do that. I've tried to encourage her to take her artwork to drum heads applications-I think she would do well at it. Here is some of her early work for an assignment before she took it to the next level-I had it framed for her-she said it wasn't good enough. She'd kill me to show off her stuff, but I'm a Dad and that trumps her concerns LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_7374.JPG
    IMG_7374.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 989
Here is another one of her pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_7368.JPG
    IMG_7368.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 957
At various times I have had band artwork on the reso. Currently I am not with a band, so I just have the standard Ludwig and Tama resos.

I have thought hard about getting a simple wall decal to dress it up. I kind of want Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Not sure that would fit all gigs, so I haven't done it.

With my previous band it was just the band name - the more publicity, the better - now it's the brand name.
A chrome finish head never came to my mind but must look great.

@GetAgrippa: that's amazing work, beautiful, although a bit creepy, your daughter is really talented!

Besides looks: does it matter much to the sound? Also, if you use a standard Gretsch, Tama or other resonant head (mine seemed PS3 clones) is quality less than a regular PS3?

"@GetAgrippa: that's amazing work, beautiful, although a bit creepy, your daughter is really talented!"
Thanks I have to take credit for the creepy part-I've always been a horror fan-even a member of the Creepy and Uncle Eerie fan clubs as a youth. Got her hooked on the creepy and horror stuff. Then too I am a scientist and her mom a physician so creepy, weird, etc seems relative normal to her from listening to our discussions. LOL.

Gets the job done. Matches the look of the backdrop too. DrumArt does great work. This is my 5th head from Jim. What that says about the duration of bands I play in....well, it's not really a bad thing sometimes. I just over-commit and order a head too soon haha

Very cool art work GetAgrippa !!

I painted my own drum head:

2j-vi.jpg

2k-vi.jpg

nm2-vi.jpg

@GetA, your daughter is immensely talented!

My reso head was a Christmas present from two of my bandmates and my teacher. I am so stupid I couldn't even guess what it was (I didn't guess drumsticks last year), but to say I was chuffed to bits is an understatement.

Attachments

• Bass drum  head.jpg
    Bass drum head.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 947

Used masking tape, red primer, and an xacto knife. Scraped it in places to give it a used/beaten look. Wanted something that looked folky or "americana". Its plain, but I like it.

Dang Hollywood Jim that turned out great and it matches the rest of the kit so well. That is one hot diggity pistol pete drum kit you got there-love it.

Just DW (which is too short to post so i am adding this to appease the robot hallmonitor)

I have a clear ps3 on the front and a coated ps4 on the batter side.

I don't put logos on my drums because nobody is paying me to, and i leave it blank otherwise because only one of my kits is show ready at this point and I play in numerous projects.

I don't have a port hole because that last big project I worked on used a very resonant kick, but now that the project is over I'm looking to instal a white kick-port to match the batter heads on my blue vistalite.

Anybody else use a kick port on an older drum? Do you like it?

Did this one up a few years ago. Made from paper printed on a color laser printer. Used the original Photoshop layers and printed them using a program called poster razor. They are glued on the head with a clear overcoat. It has held up pretty well with slight peeling at the edges.

Attachments

• sa drum head.jpg
    sa drum head.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 776
The name Gretsch and my initials. Liked the larger letters better.

Attachments

• IMG_0674.JPG
    IMG_0674.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 772
  • IMG_0718.JPG
    IMG_0718.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
Wow those are some cool resos. Madge, how classy is that? Blisco's is equally as classy. Hollywood, yours is too cool, I get dizzy looking at it, it must look really cool when you hit it. masheanhed's is very Americana looking.

This is my recording kit---I bought the head for $25 brand new from a guy who sold his black drums before he even put it on (they are $77 plus tax at GC without the port)
1852_zpsfbbtm21p.jpg

Back