Thoughts on super fast foot speed

I've been putting time into the heel heel toe toe at slower tempos, which is where I have it as is, sounds pretty even. I really hope I can keep it that way as it gets fast.

I'll be honest, I've gone back and forth about giving up on this technique out of fear that as I get faster the heel heel toe toe will lose effectiveness acoustically. But Im really hoping thats not the case.

I made a decision to give up on heel toe for speed, and instead incorporate the technique to belt out some unique patterns that would be rather awkward for me using single strokes, combining doubles and singles just like with the hands.

For me the only viable options for double bass are running on the pedals and heel heel toe toe. Running is great up to a certain speed but then its way to much work. So Im hoping the heel heel toe toe really works out for fast playing for me.

I would think heel-heel / toe-toe is probably more even and consistant sounding than heel/toe because every first stroke of each "double" is identical to the opposite foot. As the name suggests: heel heel, toe toe, so it's still LRLR like singles.

With heel toe I can almost always hear the difference in volume between the heel strokes and the follow-up toe strokes.

I think HHTT is a very cool technique. I'm jealous of those who have mastered it even though I have no use for it, as I mentioned above the only time I would use anything besides single strokes would be to do certain foot patterns, and heel toe (or any type of double) is perfect for that.

i have nothing against using triggers but i wouldn't use them to increase the power/volume in my playing. in other words, if i played a regular rock beat during sound check and my kick drum was set to the desired volume level, i wouldn't want the sound guy to have to boost it up when i was playing at speed

in my eyes, aggressive music (metal, punk, or whatever) should be played with power and aggression from the heart... not simply "feathering" the bass drum pedal as quickly as you can for the novelty of going fast. dave lombardo is a great example of someone who get's the balance right - he seems to be able to play pretty fast double bass whilst retaining the power in his strokes

Just out of curiosity how does everyone feel about running on the pedals all legs and hips for super fast double bass like Dave L. from Slayer does? The consistency and power is awesome but is this way of playing really sustainable into old age? Is it sustainable if on has a bad back?

Back