Do you talk to your drum set like it is a human?

MrPockets

Gold Member
Do you encourage it with a gentle touch and soft words?

Maybe you also talk dirty to it? ("Yeah, you resonate that pitch. Yeah.")

No, absolutely no. Neither do I talk to my guitars/basses.

I do talk a bit with myself - or rather, with some imaginative person in certain contexts. This somehow helps me getting prepared to some situations or relive what I've already been through. (Don't tell anybody or people would suggest to go and see a psychiatrist...)

Man, that's a strange topic you've created, haha!

Normally I only talk to things that answer back. Normally. Sometimes I question my drums. Like, what is your problem?

The day they talk back is the day you might have to worry about.The're drums,peroid.Stop talking ,take the blue pill and just play.:)

Steve B

da82q.gif

funny that I just stumbled across this thread

minutes ago I left my drum room and graced the rack tom of my Gretsch round badge with my hand and said ...I love you

so I guess I do talk to my drums

never thought about it before this thread

I have two kits. One who is female, and the other is more on the butch side. Right now I have the toms mixed up into a Frankenstein kit so take that as you will...

Of course, I also whisper sweet nothings into the "ear" of a freshly tapped hoppy beer, so perhaps my problem goes deeper.

Talk about them, yes. Talk to them, no.​

Of course I do!!!!

Drums are an organic entity. You must have an attachment on an emotional as well as a physical level.

Gentle encouragement and stroking...................Apologies, I am starting to sound creepy now. Must go and talk to my drums and ask them If I need professional help. I value there comments.

Ok,as I predicted.this thread is now in full free fall and any direction it takes,is likley to result in a deletion.We are approaching full on creepy mode.Step away from the drums,drop the sticks on the ground and let me see your hands.

Next we'll be talking about dress up and role play.:):):)

Steve B

Not only do I talk to my Gretschen, she's occupied my girlfriend's side of the bed! The latter sleeps on the drum rug, as the Meinls aren't comfortable with sharing the couch.
You win! That was awesome! LOL
Of course, I also whisper sweet nothings into the "ear" of a freshly tapped hoppy beer, so perhaps my problem goes deeper.
I'm all over that one. I'd have to take the red pill to find out what that's all about, but I don't think I have the stomach or self-esteem to handle it, so a freshly tapped barley pop will have to do.

I don't talk to my drums, but maybe I should, just to reassure her about how I feel about the relationship and let her know I'm as committed as ever. But she's seems content to look pretty with me staring at her all the time, and she makes nice noises as I'm having my way with her. It's just one of those comfortable relationships where we don't need to say much to each other.
Ok,as I predicted.this thread is now in full free fall and any direction it takes,is likley to result in a deletion.We are approaching full on creepy mode.Step away from the drums,drop the sticks on the ground and let me see your hands.
Aw c'mon, Steve, this is family forum! I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. :)

You guys have flipped your lids.

Talking to drums?!?!?! Man, that kind of madness is reserved for my putter......and it usually ain't pleasantries.

Doesn't everybody? And the more I have, the more likely it is to talk back.

It's just one of those comfortable relationships where we don't need to say much to each other.

Is there any other kind? :)

Last edited:
If I am going to sell some old equipment for newer/better replacements, I sleep with the outdated equipment in my bed for a few days.

They have medication for that now.

And so now we plunge deeper and deeper.Submitted for your approval,there's a signpost up ahead called.....the Twilight Zone da da da da....da da da da.

Steve B

Um... no.

But if I had Gvd's round badge Gretsch set, I might answer differently.

Back