Is Vic Firth's New Lacquer Bothering Your Hands?

NerfLad

Silver Member
It would seem that sometime recently, Vic Firth changed the finish on their sticks to be much tackier. I noticed this because I bought a huge amount of SD2's about a year a half ago, and the other day I brought a brand new pair home from the store. I also noticed they changed their matchbox artwork, so maybe that coincides with the lacquer change. A/B'ing them with my old SD2's, there's definitely a big difference and I'm not liking it... I have decent hand technique and don't hold the sticks very tight at all and I've got two blisters on my right hand... I haven't gotten a blister playing drums in years :\

Promarks have never given me a problem. Only time I prefer vics is for nylon tips which I normally don't use.

It would seem that sometime recently, Vic Firth changed the finish on their sticks to be much tackier. I noticed this because I bought a huge amount of SD2's about a year a half ago, and the other day I brought a brand new pair home from the store. I also noticed they changed their matchbox artwork, so maybe that coincides with the lacquer change. A/B'ing them with my old SD2's, there's definitely a big difference and I'm not liking it... I have decent hand technique and don't hold the sticks very tight at all and I've got two blisters on my right hand... I haven't gotten a blister playing drums in years :\

Believe it or not, I found one of my VF sticks to feel 'tacky' at last nights rehearsal. I just didn't really think too much about it until I read this thread.

Hmmmm.......................

I bought 3 new pairs this week, I did not feel any tackiness that you say.

Maybe you just got used to the feel of the older stick. There are differences between older sticks and newer ones in terms of how the wood feels IMO. Probably due to moisture content or the lacquer aging.

I bought a pair of hickory Firth American Jazz AJ2s the other day. A bit heavier than my usual these days but I really like them - nice weight and balance with a comfortable, natural woody finish.

Num, since you've already bought all those sticks it looks like you'll have to gently sand them down where you grip them.

Didn't know they were using a new lacquer...

I bought a pair recently that felt tackier than usual. Gripped my fingers much more and gave me blisters too. A week or so wearing in did the job, now I use them for most rehearsals.

Sounds like the guy at the drum shop did some nasty things to your sticks lol. That's not lacquer that's dried on there....

I noticed a difference in the last pair I bought too (as well has the change in packaging), but I wouldn't call it 'tackier'... All of my old (red box) sticks had a thick, glossy finish. The new (black/gray box) sticks, have a more natural, rough (almost like they're unfinished) feel. These are 55a's. The new ones don't bother me at all through...

just got a new brick of my Erskine Ride sticks......only difference is the color and graphic of the slide they come in

same exact stick

same amazing quality every time

Sounds like the guy at the drum shop did some nasty things to your sticks lol. That's not lacquer that's dried on there....

I've noticed your mind is usually in the gutter... we have that in common!

I noticed a difference in the last pair I bought too (as well has the change in packaging), but I wouldn't call it 'tackier'... All of my old (red box) sticks had a thick, glossy finish. The new (black/gray box) sticks, have a more natural, rough (almost like they're unfinished) feel. These are 55a's. The new ones don't bother me at all through...

That's funny, I've noticed the opposite with these... maybe I got a rogue pair that made it through QC.

I did notice that on a pair of Tommy Igoe Sigs. Almost reminded me of Regal Tip. But, I also got 50 pairs of their esthetic rejects at GC for $50, and none of them have laquer (except for the 10 pairs with vic grip). It doesn't bother me because I wrap them with TournaGrip.

I've used Vic Firth sticks for 34 years. Never had a problem.

I noticed the same thing. I usually use Vater 5As but my favorite drum shop was out, so I got a few pairs of VF 5As. I've used a lot of VFs over the years and they've always been great, but I noticed they felt sticky right off the bat. At first, I thought my hands were dirty with something (probably beer!) so after washing them and then grabbing another pair, the stickiness was still there.

I don't know if they changed their lacquer or something in the process went awry for a few batches, or what, but yeah, I noticed.

Yeah. I've been using the Zildjian Colaiuta sticks ever since I began drumming. The ultimate stick for me.

Just picked up a pair of the new VF sticks and the laquer just feels awful.

It actually upsets me quite a bit as this is the only stick of it's kind.

I've tried scraping it off with some 0000 there's no way of getting it out of the grooves in the wood.

Promarks have never given me a problem. Only time I prefer vics is for nylon tips which I normally don't use.

A lot has changed since this. I now typically use mostly VF. AS7a. Lacquer doesn't bother me at all, hardly even notice unless I think about it.

Feels like I'm not connected to the instrument anymore.

Cold and sticky or slippery. Like holding a piece of plastic.

Zildjian, please start making the Colaiuta stick again. You can call it whatever you want. Always amazing feel right out of the bag. The VF version is useless to me. Been trying to bond with it for a week. As a regularly calm person I just get pissed off now and feel like breaking something when I play these things.

Yuk.

Last edited:
Yeah, I found the same with the latest brick I bought! First used a pair in band practice and came out with a blister forming; having not had a blister in the last 15 years of playing!

I've started washing them with soap and water, which seems to take the stickiness off, but it's not ideal!

Back