Still can't get it right...

Funnyman

After playing about 11 years...there is still some songs I can't get right. One of them I been trying to learn a part to is called Laterulas by Tool. If you look it up, around 1 min and 43 seconds. Danny Carey plays like a 5/8 timing. But can any one here explain how to play that pattern? Or post a video on how to explain it or something. Please help, and thanks.

After playing about 11 years...there is still some songs I can't get right. One of them I been trying to learn a part to is called Laterulas by Tool. If you look it up, around 1 min and 43 seconds. Danny Carey plays like a 5/8 timing. But can any one here explain how to play that pattern? Or post a video on how to explain it or something. Please help, and thanks.
Unfortunately, I have to explain it verbally at the moment--it would be much simpler if I could give you notation, but maybe the verbal explanation will help. I'd think of it as being in 5/4. Think of just a full bar of eighth notes in 5/4:

1+2+3+4+5+ (the tempo on the recording for that, by the way, is approximately quarter=180)

Now, try playing this pattern on those eighth notes--R for right stick, L for left stick, B for bass drum (and I'm assuming you're right handed):

R L B R L B R L R B

I'm not sure if he's always doing the following, but it at least sounds implied to me, and it's probably how I'd play it, at least on some iterations--namely, instead of single stroking your hands, I'd play flams--I'll make it easier to play (and read like this) initially by making them all Right flams (you might want to experiment with alternating or doing other patterns with the flams later):

lR lR B lR lR B lR (rest or ghost a left) lR B

I'll write that out again with the count next to each:

1:lR +:lR 2:B +:lR 3: lR +:B 4:lR +:(rest or ghost) 5:lR +:B

Even if you're single sticking rather than doing the flams, leave the "+ (and)" of 4 as either a rest or ghosted sometimes. If I were playing it, I'd probably mix up flams and single sticking, and move ghosted notes around to different places, just for some variety.

Also, obviously he's playing his hands on his toms. Well, "+3" should be on higher-pitched toms if you want to do it like the recording. Otherwise it's just the standard walking down from higher to floor toms across the measure. The "+3" on higher toms gives you one little detour in the middle of the pattern. I don't hear any hi-hat going on during this groove, at least not listening on my crappy computer speakers, but it's a good idea to work on at least being able to keep your hi-hat going with your foot on the downbeats while you play the pattern You wouldn't always have to play it that way, but the coordination required will help you overall.

I hope that helped.

Thanks...I tried looking on the web, and you explained it perfectly. Also..I listened to the song, he does play a hi-hat, it's in quarter notes. But it comes later.

Last edited:
Back