Trio of Oz, Omar Hakim

ANIMALBEATS

Silver Member
Just been to our naitons great capital (Edinburgh) to watch "trio of oz" featuring Omar Hakim, the whole night was great. Very small venue, under 200 capacity. Only about a 100 there if that, got a spot right next to the stage, so that I could watch like a hawk. The band had a great vibe and good interaction with eachother, they seemed to like the venue a lot and thanked us for the "great vibe", saying "it gave them what they needed to put on a great show". Omar was ace, although, to be totaly honest, i thought he used a lot of the same lick's repeatedly, and there was no point in the performance when I could'nt understand what he was playing (unlike john bonham's solo on "how the west was won") which i was pleased with, as I believe if you can understand it, you can play it. Spoke to him a couple of times during the night, and he was a great laugh, very open. Told him when i was just begining i bought one of his books which i could not understand in the slightest and how 14 years later i could still not understand it. To which he reply'd "thats not too good", however I told him i learn by watching and that the night was a revelation. Even got to help him break down his kit.

The strangest moment of the night is when a drummer at the bar turned to me saying, "watching that makes me want to give up", although i know where he was comming from, i still thought it an un-usual comment, surley the man should have been inspired (as i was).

Most frustrating experience of the night was knowing that Omar was doing an exibition the next day, which I couldnt attend, due to work commitment's, I bet there would'nt have even been a dozen drummers in attendance, as close to a one on one, that you'd ever get from a drummer of that caliber.

Back