Considering stoping drums, need advice

Imperial Star

Hey, so basically I've been trying to figure out if I won't to keep on playing drums. Its a huge decision and my thoughts definitely change on the matter.

Some background info, 20 years old, being playing for about 4 1/2 years, currently in a metal band that's starting to get bigger in the local scene.

What it boils down to is that practicing almost seems like a chor and I feel that I need to practice for 2hrs+ to see any sort of improvement and maintain what I have. I also don't look forward to gigs basically due to the pressure and terrible stage sound.

I also feel that I am not as good as I should be, I've put a lot of time into practicing and feel that the drums haven't given it all back, especially chops wise.

I definitely have that patience to put the hours in practice but doing so will most probably effect my social and job life. And I feel why spend time doing something I don't fully enjoy when I could be doing something else.

The main reasons why I don't wont to stop is I like the band stuff, hanging out at jam meeting new bands at gigs etc. I also have a mesh td9 that I may have trouble selling.

As you can probably see the negatives out way the positives at the moment however I think if I saw good improvements within a month or it might change that.

Thanks for reading, share your thoughts and post away!

Are you concentrating too much on speed? Quickness seems to be harder and harder to attain after a certain point.

You could try chilling out a bit, slowing it all down, listening to the dynamics of your playing and improve that way.

That said, I'm in no position to advise you because I've only been playing for two years!

And I feel why spend time doing something I don't fully enjoy when I could be doing something else.

And here lies the answer to your own question.........If it ain't fun and you don't enjoy it....then why bother??

Couple of points for you.

1. "I've put a lot of time into practicing and feel that the drums haven't given it all back, especially chops wise." If this was really the case, you'd see some sort of improvement. I'm not questioning you here, but I am asking you to question yourself......Have you really put in the time and effort? Have you put in productive hours learning/developing/experimenting? Or are you expecting an hour of double stroke practice a week will make you sound like Vinnie?

2. "I definitely have that patience to put the hours in practice but doing so will most probably effect my social and job life" Really? It doesn't require 24/7 attention, but it does require sacrifice of some sorts on your behalf.......are you prepared to put the time in and improve? You can still have time for outside interests, but you do have to apply yourself to improvement too. It doesn't just happen overnight.

3. "The main reasons why I don't wont to stop is I like the band stuff, hanging out at jam meeting new bands at gigs etc. I also have a mesh td9 that I may have trouble selling" So ask yourself here, do you LIKE playing music....or just like the IDEA of playing music? There's a hell of a lot more to being a musician than "hanging around with bands". It's a life long quest that requires patience, repitition and above all else dedication!! I'm not suggesting you lock yourself away for ever, but you do have to work at it.
There's plenty more you can do other than play. Why not road crew, stage hand, lighting, sound, production, management if it's just the 'hanging with the band aspect' that appeals to you? And for the record....you'll shift a TD9 quicker than you can say the name 'Roland'.

Mate, I'm not having a go at you here, but I am questioning your reasons for wanting to be a drummer in the first instance. From what I've read here, you like the IDEA of being a muso, more than the practicalities it's going to take to actually be one. I can only speak for myself here..........but I KNEW at a young-ish age, I wanted to play the drums and I did what I could to make that happen. I never needed to question "is this really what I want to do?" I honestly think you need to ask yourself the same question. If you're still unsure........then the answer is obvious IMHO. Whether as a top level pro, giging your local circuit or as a hobbyist in your practice room, it still has to be enjoyable. If it's not, there's little point.

Best of luck with your 'soul searching' mate and I hope this doesn't come off as a dig at you.......cheers.

Last edited:
One question: What excited you about playing the drums in the first place? That's the place in your mind you need to find again.

good posts especially pocket-full-of-gold,

After some serious thinking I believe its time to call it quits. Yes I like drums and music but there is no passion or drive when I'm behind the kit.

I guess now I gotta tell my band mates, this will be hard and will come as a great shock, only 1 guitarist knows how I was feeling, and I told him I was probs staying about a week ago.

Why not just quit the band your in and join another band that is a different style of music? Or just take a break from it all for a little while? I would do that first honestly. Right now your feeling this way but give it a couple of months and you might find yourself wanting to do it again. I was this way at one point to...sold all my stuff. After about a year of not playing at all I started getting the "itch" again. Ended up buying back all my stuff from the guy I sold it too and been playing non-stop ever since.

Don't quit drumming, maybe the band. Give yourself a few months not forcing yourself to play and I GUARANTEE you will find yourself on the set again...if not then you know you drums aren't for you.

Don't sell your kits quite yet, give it some time. Don't make a rash decision.

yeah that's what I'm thinking. I'll definitely keep my acoustic kit. I'm gonna take a break for a while and leave the band. If I get back on the kit later on I will do it as a hobby for fun, not treat it like something that I feel has to be done.

Back