What's your favorite sounding rock snare recording?

mrmike

Silver Member
Driving down the road listening to my Bloze and The Stones "Beast of Burden" comes on the radio, man that snare sound makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Of course it helps that Charlie puts it in just the right spot.

Now I want to know what snare, heads, mics , what drugs, what he had for breakfast, boxers or briefs, did he abstain from sex, full moon ect.

Oh that is easy! Alex Van Halen's snare on So this is love from the Fair warning album. You can just feel those giant sticks wailing and making everyones ears hurt, which is a good thing of course! It's like the other night when we were playing outdoors and they said to tone it down or the cops would shut us off, so I grabbed my trusty AVH sticks and gave every snare hit from then on a huge rim shot that just killed!

Not surprising...

"Moving Pictures" by Rush.

The whole album. Just a complete masterpiece.

The snare drum was so pivotal in Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Red Barchetta, and Limelight.

Heck...every song!

Oh that is easy! Alex Van Halen's snare on So this is love from the Fair warning album. You can just feel those giant sticks wailing and making everyones ears hurt, which is a good thing of course! It's like the other night when we were playing outdoors and they said to tone it down or the cops would shut us off, so I grabbed my trusty AVH sticks and gave every snare hit from then on a huge rim shot that just killed!

Yes! I do have to concur with arthurk1. Alex's snare has that cool pop in this song. It's SO prominent here.

One of my favorite VH songs.

Oh,

"Trampled Under Foot" by Led Zeppelin.

Bonham's snare is very noticeable here. VERY!

besides bonham,

i think brady blade has some great mid-range rock snare sounds on dave matthews' solo album, some devil. particularly in "so damn lucky," "save me," and the outro of "too high."

steve jordan, to me, nailed the perfect high rock snare sound on john mayer's recording "in repair." honorable mention to "bold as love" on the same record.

but, my favorite recorded snare sounds belong to stanton moore. the drum nation recording of "sprung monkey" has the most graphic sound of a snare i have heard. more than any other recording, i feel like i am in the room watching the snare. i also think his recordings, "(late night at the) maple leaf," "(who ate the) layer cake?," and "chilcock" have great sounding snares.

I'll concur with just about any Bonham, Watts' "Beast of Burden" [and many others too], and Peart on "Moving Pictures" & more, and add Phillip "Fish" Fisher on Fishbone's "Reality Of My Surroundings" and "Give A Monkey A Brain...", Dave Abbruzzese on Pearl Jam's 2nd & 3rd albums, Dave Krusen on their 1st, Matt Cameron on Soundgarden's "Superunknown" and "Down On The Upside" [Badmotorfinger is a great sounding record but not so much the drum sound] as well as Pearl Jam's latter 4 albums, any Mike Bordin on Faith No More albums, Chad Smith on the Chili Peppers albums he's on... Chad Sexton on most of the 311 catalog and just about any Steve Jordan for a cranked high-pitched snare... Oh, Mitch Mitchell always had a great snare sound in the more primitive 60's recording techniques. [Tried to stay away from overly-processed sounds, which is difficult.] That's from the top of my head, which I could make explode from overthinking this. :)

I guess you can tell I'm mostly reared on 90's rock, eh? I'm sure there are plenty of other terrific snare sounds in other genres.

3 faves:

- Phil Rudd's drum (and the Eventide that it was run through ) on Back in Black (the whole album)
- The snare drum on the Wallflowers track One Headlight.
- The snare on the Stones' Gimme Shelter.

3 faves:

- The snare drum on the Wallflowers track One Headlight.

I hadn't really thought about it until you mentioned it but agree with the Wallflowers. My favorite snare piece is Ian Paice's Drum Solo on Made in Japan, the Mule.

He spends a lot of time on the snare, it's awesome.

John

Curt Bisquera on Mick Jaggers Wandering Spirit, the song "Don't Tear Me Up". But not only the snare, also HiHat, BD and Cymbals.

Agree. Also, Fair Warning is an AMAZING album. My favorite of theirs by far.

For a nice high "pop", my vote goes to Stewart Copeland on "Reggatta de Blanc".

Here's what I can think of at the moment. I have dug up some links to where you can hear it too.

1. Mary Margaret O'Hara - Year in song (Michael Sloski: drums)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i35mAvFY7pw&fmt=18

I have always loved the sound and playing in this song. Very groovy. Awesome snare. Theres a bit of room ambience in the sound.

2. Siouxsie & the Banshees - Little Sister (drums: Budgie)
http://tinysong.com/7jQx

Incredible song.The sound of the drums...wow. Budgie is an awesome drummer.

3. Simon Phillips - Red Rocks (drums: Simon Phillips)
http://tinysong.com/alKE

The songs on his first album are nice, the drawback is that all instrumemnts except drums are synth sounds, so it's a bit mechanic. But the drums and playing is terrific. I love this snare sound and the way it's recorded. I also love the hi-hat and everything else.
I was really lucky that I found this song so you can hear it.Simon Phillips is my biggest influence, I have to say.

4. Saga - The Victim (drums: Steve Negus)
http://www.amazon.com/The-Victim/dp/B0017YR4E8/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1253920793&sr=1-19
I only found a sample.This song is very groovy. I haven't thought of the snare particularly before, I just like the overall sound of everything. But it's a nice snare sound. Steve Negus is another favourite of mine.

5. This Ascension - Alex Kidd (drums: I don't know)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DZ2Z0O/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk4
Just a sample. The drummer isn't remarkable, but I came to think of this album since I've been fond of the sound of the snare on it. There's quite a bit of room ambience to the drums.

If you liked the Red Rocks song, you should also like Slofunk from the same album:
http://tinysong.com/alL3

Have fun listening.

I forgot these two: Manu Katche playing on Peter Gabriel's song "In Your Eyes"

Alan White on the Yes album 90125 (cinema, changes, it can happen).

Back