Gospel Chops Shed sessionz dvd

asafkapota

Hi, I think i'll buy one of those dvd, anyone watched and can recommend me what vol. to buy?
I think in Vol. 1 the drummers are better but I'm not sure, so any comment will help.
Thanks.

Hi, I think i'll buy one of those dvd, anyone watched and can recommend me what vol. to buy?
I think in Vol. 1 the drummers are better but I'm not sure, so any comment will help.
Thanks.

while the drummers on these DVDs are incredibly talented, and i've never seen any of the videos from start to finish. I have watched damn near all of the excerpts on youtube and can say that while they are very fun to watch, i would not spend my money on any of these DVDs. as far as i can tell there really isn't any type of teaching being done. its just a handful of very good drummers showing why they are very good (ala 'showing off'). you can get plenty of that by watching the videos on youtube. Now like i said I have never seen the full DVDs so i could be wrong, but thats my 2 cents.

i would recommend some of the other instructional DVDs that have come out recently over these 110%. on the drummerworld main page there is a link called "DVDs & Books" that has a very broad selection of drumming DVDs that you would probably get more from than spending a few hours of your life going "OMFG How did they do that!?!?" with no explinations. or answers. Jojo Mayer "Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer", Thomas Lang "Creative Coordination", and any of the Modern Drummer Festival DVDs are what I offer as alternatives.

Agreed. Those guys are incredibly fun to watch but you would get more bang for your buck buying an instructional DVD.

Thank you for the comments,
I agree with your claim but i have enough material to learn (Im a student of music) and i have watched most of the good DVD's already...
But also i think that watching those guys go wild can make you a better drummer if you will watch enough times.
I've watched Aaron Spears and Gerald Heyward in MD 2006 so many times that i think i've actually got better cause I'm using their licks.

(sorry for the any spelling mistakes)

Absolutely you can pick up licks from a drummer if you digest and review their playing enough. If it appeals to you, I don't think it would be harmful to purchase it, though there seems to be a general distaste for gospel drummers on this forum. Anyway, I would think the newest shed sessions would be best because if I am not mistaken I have seen some clips with Tony Royster Jr and Ronald Bruner Jr featured.

there seems to be a general distaste for gospel drummers on this forum.

i have to disagree, at least for me. i have no issues with gospel drumming. i grew up and learned my basics playing for a church. i absolutely love guys like gerald heyward, tony royster jr., thomas pridgen, aaron spears.. i could go all day. but for the most part, all of thier fills sound very similar. i've watched some vids with some of the aforementioned drummers attempting to 'teach' and tell people how they do things, and then afterwards sat back gone, 'what?'. not because it was just so much more advance than what my brain can comprehend, but because these guys appeared to have a very hard time put words together in coherent thoughts to explain anything on the drums. the exception to that is tony royster, and i know he plays gospel but i would hesitate to label him as an actual gospel drummer.

so yeah, i have no issues with gospel drummers or drumming, i am just not impressed or enlightened by thier attempts to teach.

i have to disagree, at least for me. i have no issues with gospel drumming. i grew up and learned my basics playing for a church. i absolutely love guys like gerald heyward, tony royster jr., thomas pridgen, aaron spears.. i could go all day. but for the most part, all of thier fills sound very similar. i've watched some vids with some of the aforementioned drummers attempting to 'teach' and tell people how they do things, and then afterwards sat back gone, 'what?'. not because it was just so much more advance than what my brain can comprehend, but because these guys appeared to have a very hard time put words together in coherent thoughts to explain anything on the drums. the exception to that is tony royster, and i know he plays gospel but i would hesitate to label him as an actual gospel drummer.

so yeah, i have no issues with gospel drummers or drumming, i am just not impressed or enlightened by thier attempts to teach.

Those gospel cats just feel it. They can't explain how they do it because, to them it's just a feel thing. If you check out Aaron Spears' new DVD, a couple of his answers to the gospel drumming questions were "It's really just a feel thing." They just feel where 1 is, and they just let their limbs go. Especially cats like Ronald and Tony who can just really go off!

At a recent drum seminar a very famous drummer( who shall remain nameless) was asked what he thought of Gospel drummers on the whole and his response was that most sound alike and almost all overplay the music. I'm not sure what would be learned from watching.

At a recent drum seminar a very famous drummer( who shall remain nameless) was asked what he thought of Gospel drummers on the whole and his response was that most sound alike and almost all overplay the music. I'm not sure what would be learned from watching.

Yes but isn't it important as a younger drummer to overplay just to get the experience of playing different fills and then grow older and wiser and know not to always play them? I mean if I hadn't played along to all those Rush albums as a kid I wouldn't have got it out of my system and it sure improved my playing. I say get as many vids as possible and broaden your toolbox so to speak.

i agree. i think linear fills are interesting, but they do all seem to use the same vocabulary. don't get me wrong they definately have talent to play those ideas that fast.but it is sending the wrong message to young drummers about what to value.

drums in reality its rarely about the drummer, but about the effect the drummer has on the music being played. and overplaying and having the "look at what i practised' attitude is not going to have a positive effect on the music.

Back