Cymbal question

westegg

If you wanted to play hard rock / metal... and could only use 4 cymbals, what would they be?

I would guess:

Hi-hat
Crash
Ride
China

Does this sound like the best combination of 4??? or would you switch out something for a splash (china or ride)???

Thanks

For you and metal maybe two crashes. Not a splash. The china is ok. China and crash would be large if it were me.

Last edited:
HI hats
2 crashes (18" or larger)
Ride (21-24")

Have a nice day :)

Lots of possible combination's as you can see, but for me aside from the ride and a crash(16") an 18" ride/crash is a must. My favorite was a basic Sabian B. The transition from ride to crash is very smooth and allowed me to stay with the one cymbal and still maintain dynamics and accents. I am presently using a Sabian El Sabor; great bell.

Playing in a rock band myself at the moment, and I'm using an 18" crash, 18" china, 20" ride, and 14" hats. The china is good because it mixes well with the others enough that it doesn't stick out a ton if you don't want it to. But if you do want to make it more prominent, it can do that too.

I think it depends on really what kind of metal. If its just like hardcore music, 1 crash, 1 ride, hats and china work great, but more complex stuff like dream theater I say if you have to throw out the china and get a ride. Look at the guy from Norma Jean, old drummer, he used two crashes a china and a pair of hats, and he sounded great. I think biggest thing would really be if you need the clarity of the bow of the ride at any point, cause you can get a large crash that would have a great bell on it but be really washy, probably too washy for a ride depending on your likes.

If you wanted to play hard rock / metal... and could only use 4 cymbals, what would they be?

I would guess:

Hi-hat
Crash
Ride
China

Does this sound like the best combination of 4??? or would you switch out something for a splash (china or ride)???

Thanks

Na dont get a china (if you are starting to buy cymbals that is)
or any other effect cymbals when starting becasue crash cymbals are the most important. Get another crash. Once you do you wont know how you ever went with one crash.

Honestly, if your a Metal player, you will be hitting very hard. This could cause you to crack cymbals if you don't use proper technique. I would suggest leaving out the china and getting two crash cymbals, so that you put less strain on your crashes. If you have one, all your crashing will be disbursed on one crash, rather than two crashes, which you can disburse more hits upon. Then later, invest in a china, which are fairly import for metal breakdowns.

I would guess:

Hi-hat
Crash
Ride
China

Thanks

I'd say that's about right.

most people would have 2 crashes instead of a crash and a chinese. but to each his own.

Last edited:
i would go for,
Hi Hats
2 Crashes
Ride

You could go for a china but it would have to at least 18" but defentaly leave a ride in there

Tris

Back