Keep playing off beat

Ikebongo

I am playing with a r&b spotify playlist and i get really into it then realize im not playing on the beat. What gives? Does this happen to everyone? Or if if i try a fill i will be like on the off beat or something its weird.

This happens to everyone starting out.

The cure is to practice with a metronome at very slow tempos and build up speed slowly.

This ingrains a sense of time to your playing and helps you understand what it feels like to play consistently at a tempo.

Most problems start in the mind. You aren't listening hard enough to the music is what it sounds like here.

It also sounds like you are "getting in to it". I don't mean that in a good way either.

As good as it feels to do that..."getting in to it"...FWIW it always ruined my playing. I learned to detach somewhat by focusing more on what's going on around me, not what was in my head.

I had to, it wasn't working the other way.

Two things.

1) If you're using stuff with super solid time, like hip hop, that's basically just as good as a metronome, if not better because it also has musical context. You're totally on a good track practicing to stuff like that. I also like to make my own loops or use things like "dance" music that is extremely simple with a solid consistent meter.

2) As you might infer from above, lots and lots and lots of music was not recorded to a metronome and it in itself does not have perfect beat, so even if you're on, you might still sound off. It's usually best to avoid this type of stuff.

Onto your question, disregarding what I just wrote.

Count. Get a solid count going in your head, or even out-loud BEFORE you start to play along. The key is to keep that count going through your fills so when you come back in, you're hitting the one. I recommend 8th note count to start with.

Don't play any fills (or worry about them too much)-except maybe on snare. You want to get your time and independence down. Initially people often speed up their fills-you get excited and then spaz out. Now it's ok if you plan to speed up on a fill as long as still in time and come back in time. I'd concentrate snare, kick, hi hats and get that solid time-then add ride, then add toms. You may be playing reactive to the music-so a little behind-make sure you know the song (in your head) so you are playing the song-even if no music present.

Two things.

1) If you're using stuff with super solid time, like hip hop, that's basically just as good as a metronome, if not better because it also has musical context. You're totally on a good track practicing to stuff like that. I also like to make my own loops or use things like "dance" music that is extremely simple with a solid consistent meter.

2) As you might infer from above, lots and lots and lots of music was not recorded to a metronome and it in itself does not have perfect beat, so even if you're on, you might still sound off. It's usually best to avoid this type of stuff.

Onto your question, disregarding what I just wrote.

Count. Get a solid count going in your head, or even out-loud BEFORE you start to play along. The key is to keep that count going through your fills so when you come back in, you're hitting the one. I recommend 8th note count to start with.

Agree with this 100%. Playing a straight 4 beat to a metronome can get boring ( not to say it’s no a helpful tool). Along with your other thread about fills , it’s a matter of time and practice . Start slow on straight 4 tunes at a comfortable BPM that you can handle. Pick a few songs or music that you enjoy . And don’t attempt any fills until you can play the beat straight through to the end in time . You can break songs down and work on fills and simplify them however you like as long as they fit the music and your keeping time . If you get frustrated doing that you can switch back to playing straight 4 through the music . It’s a matter of putting in the time and practice . I’m by no means a pro or a novice. I’m an intermediate player at best . But I’ve always had one strong suit..... impeccable timing, which I attribute to growing up in a musical family where everyone .... 7 of us played at least two instruments growing up and took lessons to various degrees . We all sang in school and church choir and played in band and or orchestra. No doubt this attributed to my sense of time but when I switched to percussionand drums from sax and clarinet at around 13 or 14 I was frustrated because my body wouldn’t do what the mind was telling it . I would play 4/4 classic rock songs for hours with no fills , then slowly added fills that fit , then eventually was able to completely cover songs nearly to a T. All without reading music . At about 15 I started lessons for two years or so but stopped around age18, big mistake but paying bills and school and two jobs put a halt to lessons. Find a decent teacher and take lessons if feasible . If not ,..... no worries plenty of drummers are self taught and doing wonderfully. All depends how far you wanna take it . Point is ....... start slow ,..... walk before you run , and stick with it . If you love it as I did and still do you’ll make it through . If you put the work and time in , like in anything else , you’ll see results and that will push you further and bring you to the next level and teach you that progress can be made . As stated in your other thread about fills, play with others where and when you can also . I was fortunate that my older brother ( god rest his soul) made the switch to guitars from tuba and trumpet two years before I switched from brass and woodwinds to drums . I had a live in jam partner and human metronome who went on to become one of the best guitarists I’ve ever known In my life( played / practicedfor hours EVERY day ) . That made it even easier and more fun for my progression as a drummer . Keep pushing , keep grinding , it may come fast or slow but rest assured it will come . Best of luck .

Simplify your playing until you get the groove right. Counting the basic rhythm helps me learn it.

This happens to everyone starting out.

The cure is to practice with a metronome at very slow tempos and build up speed slowly.

This ingrains a sense of time to your playing and helps you understand what it feels like to play consistently at a tempo.

It doesnt happen to me on guitar.. i just started playing giitar tooa nd can play perfectly to a metronome. I just get off on drums its weird maybe i just get too tired or somethjnf

It doesnt happen to me on guitar.. i just started playing giitar tooa nd can play perfectly to a metronome. I just get off on drums its weird maybe i just get too tired or somethjnf

That's because it's a lot easier to play guitar.

Try this. Play a beat you like that you can, over and over and over to a click or looped track. I mean like 10-15 minutes. Let your body start to feel and understand the beat, but only the beat, no fills. Once things start to click and happen naturally, your mind will clear and your body will take over. Once on "autopilot" you will start to notice things that have nothing to do with drumming. You will hear things that aren't there, you will notice the spider in the corner of the ceiling, your mind will start to wander and you will think about things that have nothing to do with drumming. Once this happens you are locked in. You aren't thinking about drumming, you are just drumming. The body takes over and just does. It's like the driving anology. We don't think push in the clutch, let off the gas, shift, let off the clutch, push in the gas. The body just does it, allowing us to concentrate on the other things we need to pay attention to. Drumming is the same thing.

You will get it, just keep at it. There is plenty of useful info all over this forum, and most of us will help you along the way. This is a long neverending journey that just keeps getting better the more you are willing to put into it.

Some days will be better than others. You will have days where you won't be able to play today what you could yesterday, but tomorrow it will seem incredibly easy. This is normal, just keep at it.

Can you hear your drums over the music. If the music is too loud and you can't hear your drums, you will wander.

Can you hear your drums over the music. If the music is too loud and you can't hear your drums, you will wander.

Good point.

AND can you hear the music over the sound of your drums?
You need to have the correct mix of both.

I'd stop listening to R&B and start listening to some AC/DC if you really want to hear the drums and simple drum beats.

I just wanted to chime in and tell the OP that he is asking all the right questions, experincing everything we all experience as we learn to play the drums and to keep at it!!

Play along with a song that uses a groove you can play easily.

When a fill comes up in the song,play a really simple fill, such as quarter notes on the snare.

When that is working well, start adding complexity. Try moving the fill around the kit. Try playing eighth notes, then sixteenth notes. Then a mix of different note values.

Hey guys thabks for all the support. I just had a tryout tonightt and it went super well. I think i was just being over critical of myself in the prac room. I didnt have any problems tonight and they asked me to come back to gig with them.

Back