Slayer Final World Tour

Okay here it is. After waiting almost 30 years, I finally got to see Slayer. Here is a short rundown of the whole event. Sorry no pics, I tried but they suck.

First up, Napalm Death. Not super familiar with their material, but their show was really energetic. The singer was running all over the stage like a wild animal. The string players paced their respective sides of the stage like caged tigers. The drummer seemed pretty chill while blasting away. His gear was Yamaha and Sabian. On a strange note, he had two kicks but used a double pedal. They played for about 35 minutes.

Testament was next. Their show was great. Gene is a monster, and played open handed. His playing was phenomenal. The rest of the band really worked their asses off too. I never really got into Testament back in the day, and I think I'm gonna have to rethink this. I was totally impressed.

Ladies and gentleman, batting third is Anthrax! I was a bit disappointed that Charlie wasn't there. I don't know why, but Gene pulled double duty and filled in spectacularly. Everything they played was a classic. I thought it was cool that they opened the show with like the first minute of Panteras Cowboys From Hell, and ended the show with like the last minute of it. Joey does an amazing job getting the audience to participate. Actually, the whole band did. Lots of interaction. They put on a great show. Anyone who is a fan that hasn't seen them should really do so. They were amazing.

Lamb of God was next. No Chris Adler. Art Cruz filled in an did an awesome job. Randy Blythe was, well, Randy. Running, jumping, just acting like an overall lunatic. The stage setup was pretty cool. It was like a giant set of bleachers with a big drumset in the middle. No one really climbed the bleachers that much though. The string players just stayed in their areas and headbanged. Guess this is a case of just letting the music speak for itself.

And finally: Slayer! I think this speaks for itself. Great show, lights, pyrotechnics, explosions, the whole schebang. They played for about 90 minutes. About halfway through their set it started to pour. The venue is an outdoor covered ampitheater. The wind was whipping and everyone got soaked. There are giant video screens on either side of the stage, and you could see water bouncing off drums, collecting on cymbals, and running off stringed instruments. It didn't seem to bother anyone. Except me, I hate getting wet! But who cares, it was Slayer!

All in all, definitely worth the wait and money. I did have some issues with being buried amongst a sea of people, as giant crowds and chaos cause me to have anxiety. I was able to deal though, and all in all had a blast. My voice is shot, ears are ringing as I forget my earplugs in the car, and feel like I got hit by a truck. My whole body hurts. But I am 42, so it was expected.

Great show, lots of fun. Would I do it again, no. Am I glad I did, abso-freakin-lutely. I can only sum it all up in this way: SLAAAYYYERRRRRRR!

Now it's your turn, GO SEE THEM.

Okay here it is. After waiting almost 30 years, I finally got to see Slayer. Here is a short rundown of the whole event. Sorry no pics, I tried but they suck.

First up, Napalm Death. Not super familiar with their material, but their show was really energetic. The singer was running all over the stage like a wild animal. The string players paced their respective sides of the stage like caged tigers. The drummer seemed pretty chill while blasting away. His gear was Yamaha and Sabian. On a strange note, he had two kicks but used a double pedal. They played for about 35 minutes.

Testament was next. Their show was great. Gene is a monster, and played open handed. His playing was phenomenal. The rest of the band really worked their asses off too. I never really got into Testament back in the day, and I think I'm gonna have to rethink this. I was totally impressed.

Ladies and gentleman, batting third is Anthrax! I was a bit disappointed that Charlie wasn't there. I don't know why, but Gene pulled double duty and filled in spectacularly. Everything they played was a classic. I thought it was cool that they opened the show with like the first minute of Panteras Cowboys From Hell, and ended the show with like the last minute of it. Joey does an amazing job getting the audience to participate. Actually, the whole band did. Lots of interaction. They put on a great show. Anyone who is a fan that hasn't seen them should really do so. They were amazing.

Lamb of God was next. No Chris Adler. Art Cruz filled in an did an awesome job. Randy Blythe was, well, Randy. Running, jumping, just acting like an overall lunatic. The stage setup was pretty cool. It was like a giant set of bleachers with a big drumset in the middle. No one really climbed the bleachers that much though. The string players just stayed in their areas and headbanged. Guess this is a case of just letting the music speak for itself.

And finally: Slayer! I think this speaks for itself. Great show, lights, pyrotechnics, explosions, the whole schebang. They played for about 90 minutes. About halfway through their set it started to pour. The venue is an outdoor covered ampitheater. The wind was whipping and everyone got soaked. There are giant video screens on either side of the stage, and you could see water bouncing off drums, collecting on cymbals, and running off stringed instruments. It didn't seem to bother anyone. Except me, I hate getting wet! But who cares, it was Slayer!

All in all, definitely worth the wait and money. I did have some issues with being buried amongst a sea of people, as giant crowds and chaos cause me to have anxiety. I was able to deal though, and all in all had a blast. My voice is shot, ears are ringing as I forget my earplugs in the car, and feel like I got hit by a truck. My whole body hurts. But I am 42, so it was expected.

Great show, lots of fun. Would I do it again, no. Am I glad I did, abso-freakin-lutely. I can only sum it all up in this way: SLAAAYYYERRRRRRR!

Now it's your turn, GO SEE THEM.

Sounds like it was a good show. Gonna have to check and see if any shows near me . Tonight going to see......... Jeff beck, Paul Rodgers, Ann Wilson and Vinnie Colaiuta.

Well damn ! Missed them right here where I’m going to see Jeff beck. Done in the U.S and now in the UK

Saw them a few months ago on the first leg. LoG definitely stole the show. Their relative youth and the energy of their songs just make for an amazing show. I have seen them a half-dozen or so times, and each time its great. I have seen Anthrax maybe more than any other band, they are always great. Testament never quite has the sound right. Petersons guitar sound is always like an ice pick and Skolnick (one of my favorite guitarists) is never loud enough in the mix.

I saw Slayer the first time during the Season in the Abyss tour, and a few times since then, and they might actually be better now with Paul and Gary (blasphemy I know). Tom seems to be going through the motions a bit, but that just might be my own bias clouding my perception. All in all, its always fun to go to a good thrash show and loose your voice. Sad to see one of the titans of metal hanging it up.

Napalm Death, Testament, Anthrax, and Lamb of God just played a show in Milwaukee last week without Slayer. Missed Napalm Death but everyone else was really good. I haven't seen a pit open up for a second band the way it did for Testament in a long time. Super hot indoor ballroom but it was great. Second time seeing Anthrax in about six months, wished they would have played something off of their last two albums which have been great. They also did the Cowboys from Hell thing; great way to get the crowd going! Lamb of God came on and that venue exploded. Probably 90 degrees in there and basically a sea of people and mosh pits. Definitely left the show in a great mood and feeling like I just ran 10 miles.

For being as into thrash metal as I am apparently I'm the only guy on the planet who just cannot get into Slayer. If they had been headlining I probably wouldn't have gone, but that's just me.

I agree about Lombardo, wish he was there. Would have been cool if he played even a song or two but I understand that their relationship is probably over.

I knew Chris Adler wasn't going to be there. I guess he had some sort of personal issue back home. Read about it like a week ago.

I have no idea why Charlie wasn't there. It was a surprise to me. Gene did an awesome job filling in. Even used Charlie's kit.

I have no idea why Charlie wasn't there. It was a surprise to me. Gene did an awesome job filling in. Even used Charlie's kit.

Charlie's carpal tunnel is acting up again unfortunately : (

Thanks so much for the review- getting me pumped up for when they finally head down here!

Did you look for Bostaph's sticks? (He hides a pair of them around each venue for fans to find) and I guess you never did go for that drum lesson with him ; )

Charlie's carpal tunnel is acting up again unfortunately : (

Thanks so much for the review- getting me pumped up for when they finally head down here!

Did you look for Bostaph's sticks? (He hides a pair of them around each venue for fans to find) and I guess you never did go for that drum lesson with him ; )

Nope, no lesson. I didn't know about the sticks. A chick in front of me got one of Gene's sticks, it was huge. I almost caught one of Art's sticks but it was just a tad out of reach. It hit the tip of my middle finger, did a 180, and disappeared into the crowd. I also go hit in the chest with a guitar pick. I didn't see it coming until last second, and put my hands to my chest to trap it. When I removed my hands it wasn't there. I checked my pockets, shoes, my water cup, and all over the floor. It was never found. Dude next to me joked it went down my pants and I'd find it in my washer. No luck!

For being as into thrash metal as I am apparently I'm the only guy on the planet who just cannot get into Slayer. If they had been headlining I probably wouldn't have gone, but that's just me.

You're not the only one, I can't get into them either.

When that tour came through my area the line up was Testament, Anthrax, LOG, Behemoth, and Slayer. I'm sort of glad i didn't go, because it was freezing when they came through.

I'm looking forward to Obscura, Beyond Creation, Archspire, and Infere coming through next month.

Back