Oiling/Sealing Matte Finishes

yammyfan

Hi all,

I did a quick search but couldn't find a straightforward answer. Forgive me if this has been asked a hundred times before.

I've got a gorgeous (to me) Yamaha Stage Custom Standard in Matte Natural finish that I'd like to seal and protect. The problem is, I'm not sure what product to use.

What can you recommend for the job? I don't mind darkening the finish a little but I'd like to keep it as close to original as possible.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Attachments

• Yamaha 640 by 480.jpg
    Yamaha 640 by 480.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Matte finish does NOT mean no varnish or no finish. Matte finish varnish completely seals but with no gloss. For bare wood I like to use mineral oil. It's benign, non toxic, no odor, easy to apply, nourishes and beautifies dry bare wood, it's cheap, you can get it at any drug store plus you can drink it if you're constipated. Since I discovered it, I don't use tung oil, linseed oil or other stuff.

Matte finish does NOT mean no varnish or no finish. Matte finish varnish completely seals but with no gloss. For bare wood I like to use mineral oil. It's benign, non toxic, no odor, easy to apply, nourishes and beautifies dry bare wood, it's cheap, you can get it at any drug store plus you can drink it if you're constipated. Since I discovered it, I don't use tung oil, linseed oil or other stuff.

That makes sense to me. The drums don't receive direct sunlight but they're in a room with no window coverings and get some exposure to the sun. I'd like to ward off any harm resulting from that.

That makes sense to me. The drums don't receive direct sunlight but they're in a room with no window coverings and get some exposure to the sun. I'd like to ward off any harm resulting from that.

I would consider putting some blinds or curtains up in your room. Direct sunlight is much harsher than anyone realizes, not that your drums are in any kind of danger, but keeping things and you in the shade is just better.

I say drink it like MSD said and then you won't really care about your kit. Hippocratic oath served.

I only say this because there are too many fake mineral oil tabs out there.

Last edited:
I would consider putting some blinds or curtains up in your room. Direct sunlight is much harsher than anyone realizes, not that your drums are in any kind of danger, but keeping things and you in the shade is just better.

Agreed. Even some cheap Walmart blinds would be better than nothing.

Back