I can only play original music?

Anybody else have this problem? There's a handful of songs I can play, but I just have a hard time playing anything I haven't written myself. Which kinda sucks because I'd like to start doing covers with friends..

I certainly always preferred playing original music. Nothing better than being able to express yourself in your own musical vehicle IMHO. To me, it was really what the whole caper was about and I absolutely loved it.......most of the time anyway.

But it just didn't pay the same rates as a cover band. More often than not, it didn't allow me to work as often either. So covers on the side, it was. And later on, covers was all I did. Thankful for it too. It introduced me to a far wider circle of guys on the local circuit and pretty much ensured there was enough work for me to subsidise my day job wage for many years. Quite simply, It allowed me to play and it allowed me to get paid for it........doesn't get better than that.

I feel like covers are 'learning at the feet of the masters'. (Depending on what covers and by whom, I suppose!) They are ideas and examples, and even a measure of my playing.

If you are having difficulty playing covers, is it because you don't know the songs, or don't like the restriction of playing a certain thing?

Write out the basic groove and form of the song and try to follow that when listening the music.

There is no need to carbon-copy a song that you are covering. Stick to the idea but make it your own. Keeps it all interesting

There is no need to carbon-copy a song that you are covering. Stick to the idea but make it your own. Keeps it all interesting

I like to pretend some songs are like snare solos and I feel pride if I can play as close to the original as possible.

If you are having difficulty playing covers, is it because you don't know the songs, or don't like the restriction of playing a certain thing?

I'd say it's a little of both, but even songs I've known my whole life I end up losing my rhythm.. maybe if I learned to read music this would come easier

I'd say it's a little of both, but even songs I've known my whole life I end up losing my rhythm.. maybe if I learned to read music this would come easier

You are pretty much guaranteed to play better if you can read music.

Wait a minute - you guys are playing drums right?

I just wanted to be sure of that. Simply because the drum parts between original music trying to be heard, and music that is already out there and popular, aren't very different from one another. Or are you guys actually talking about writing songs for ukulele or something?

In a way it's better than not being able to think for yourself and only copy what others do. So many people on YouTube playing songs note for note and its quite boring to think that they've combed through the chart and not used their ear or their own creativity.

1. Listen to the song
2. Listen to the drumming
3. Play along to the song
4. (Getting involved now) Record yourself playing to the song and listen back, see what's wrong.

If that fails you can try searching for a video of someone playing it. Or finding a tab or guitar pro file. I haven't used it but I hear anytune and some other apps have a transcribe function.

I have an app called tempo slow, it slows down music without sounding crappy like some other apps (anytune free edition for example). If you only have a desktop pc you can use audacity.

I'm learning a complex song right now and I haven't done this yet but my next plan of attack is to play along with just 1 or 2 limbs.

I would definitely work on it if I was you, it will help you on the originals front too.

In a way it's better than not being able to think for yourself and only copy what others do. So many people on YouTube playing songs note for note and its quite boring to think that they've combed through the chart and not used their ear or their own creativity.

1. Listen to the song
2. Listen to the drumming
3. Play along to the song
4. (Getting involved now) Record yourself playing to the song and listen back, see what's wrong.

If that fails you can try searching for a video of someone playing it. Or finding a tab or guitar pro file. I haven't used it but I hear anytune and some other apps have a transcribe function.

I have an app called tempo slow, it slows down music without sounding crappy like some other apps (anytune free edition for example). If you only have a desktop pc you can use audacity.

I'm learning a complex song right now and I haven't done this yet but my next plan of attack is to play along with just 1 or 2 limbs.

I would definitely work on it if I was you, it will help you on the originals front too.

Is this an iOS app? It sounds really helpful..

And I completely agree that it's better than not being able to think for yourself, but it's no fun being restricted to it either. Watching drum covers on youtube definitely helps though

Wait a minute - you guys are playing drums right?

I just wanted to be sure of that. Simply because the drum parts between original music trying to be heard, and music that is already out there and popular, aren't very different from one another. Or are you guys actually talking about writing songs for ukulele or something?

Not at all. You play in a Top 40 cover band, but your original band has a progressive vibe to it. The two styles are unlikely to be the same at all. One will give you a lot more room to express yourself and your own individuality than the other will.

Danny Carey doesn't sound anything like Ringo, for example.......however you try and cut it. Yet there is room for both. Just not in the same application. And more often than not, it's the application that dictates the playing approach. At least it should, if "musicianship" is your ultimate aim.

Is this an iOS app? It sounds really helpful..

And I completely agree that it's better than not being able to think for yourself, but it's no fun being restricted to it either. Watching drum covers on youtube definitely helps though

Start with AC DC. Pretty simple drum parts.

Knowing how to follow the original parts helps you get jobs from people that want you to play already written parts. Creativity and the ability to replicate a part are both equally beneficial.

Not at all. You play in a Top 40 cover band, but your original band has a progressive vibe to it. The two styles are unlikely to be the same at all. One will give you a lot more room to express yourself and your own individuality than the other will.

Danny Carey doesn't sound anything like Ringo, for example.......however you try and cut it. Yet there is room for both. Just not in the same application. And more often than not, it's the application that dictates the playing approach. At least it should, if "musicianship" is your ultimate aim.

I suppose I could understand this. But the way I look at being the drummer in any band, is that I'm the guy laying it down for everybody else. So while I can understand getting to express yourself more in one situation as opposed to the other, would you call Steve Jordan laying down a highly musical funk groove less expressive?

There's a big difference between watching an amateur play a 2 & 4 disco groove with a look on his face that he'd rather be anywhere but there, and a pro doing it knowing he's the engine for the entire vibe of the room.

This is why I say there isn't that much difference - the job for the drummer is basically the same, isn't it?

But once you create an original part, do you not repeat that part? Or do you make up an original part every time you play?

As cliche as it sounds, I play what I feel. I guess you'd call it improv.. but yes, if I play something I like I'll memorize it and add it into my playing

While I can't do covers, I still take influence from other drummers & what they play. But I guess this goes for everybody

As cliche as it sounds, I play what I feel. I guess you'd call it improv.. but yes, if I play something I like I'll memorize it and add it into my playing

While I can't do covers, I still take influence from other drummers & what they play. But I guess this goes for everybody

I understood you post as saying that when you create a drum part for a song, you do not stick to that part when you play the song another time.

Does this mean you make small alterations to the skeleton groove, or do you choose to play smehing different completely?

Some genres have room for greater alterations to the drum part, others do not IMO.

I would buy those ACDC and KISS drum chart books and play along. Playing accurate covers is a good skill as is following charts.

So while I can understand getting to express yourself more in one situation as opposed to the other, would you call Steve Jordan laying down a highly musical funk groove less expressive?

Not in its own right, but if Steve Jordan would prefer to be playing something else, then yeah, he just might view it as being less expressive. In your example though, SJ is more likely than not, to be the right man for the job. What about a player who is less comfortable with his funk groove and more renowned for playing straight though? Would he necessarily feel the same way?

This is why I say there isn't that much difference - the job for the drummer is basically the same, isn't it?

Depends. Is it a Slayer audition or trying out for The Rolling Stones? Reckon Dave Lombardo would think his playing was more, or less expressive of his own musical tastes if he was asked to sit in for the Stones?

But now I'm digressing. My point was merely, that not all drumming is the same.......and some guys prefer to play a certain way over another. The beauty is, provided musicality is always your first and ultimate goal, there's room for it all.

Back