Practicing while living in a city?

Drummer Frank

I'm moving to Boston real soon, but I've never lived in a building with other people before. What do city people do for storage and practice? I saw some practice space warehouse type places online, but I can't keep my drums there, and I don't want to play their crappy community sets anyway. Electronic kits are lame, and those muffler things can't handle my thunderous beats. What do people normally do?

My drums are in my bedroom and I don't practice on kit at all. If I played in a loud band I'd buy e-drums but my band is laid back and the e-kits would get me hitting like a rock drummer again.

Sounds to me like you might have to settle for an e-kit. I know you don't like them but that's what people who live in apartments do. Either that or practice pads.

I'm moving to Boston real soon, but I've never lived in a building with other people before. What do city people do for storage and practice? I saw some practice space warehouse type places online, but I can't keep my drums there, and I don't want to play their crappy community sets anyway. Electronic kits are lame, and those muffler things can't handle my thunderous beats. What do people normally do?

You just answered your own question.

Hi
I live in a condo....Practice pad for hand development,Roland HD-1 for kit work. I work and rehearse with two bands...drums are at studio's(1 night a week with each) Gig ..3 to 5 times a month.
Make do at your apartment and locate drums in band rehearse space. alot of wirk can be done on pads.Denis

I live in a condo on the 11th floor. My band rehearses here at my condo. I practice my drums with "Sound Off" pads (not with the band....they are off). My bass player is coming over today and we are jamming for 1 hour. My neighbors are cool and actually open their doors to hear us. Answer......get cool neighbors.

It's been a constant problem for me and was the reason I gave up for about 3 years... I had nowhere to practice on a real kit with real cymbals and quickly became frustrated with pads and the like.

Now my situation is practice pad and futz pedals at home and kit in a shared practice room in town. I have a good arrangement at present so I can go down and play pretty much when I want but it is a drag having to travel to your kit. But it's my raison d'etre and if I'm not playing regularly I get twitchy. So it's worth it.

Back