Pedal Problems

akasticks

I am currently using a DW 4000 Double Pedal, and its been a while since i have played more than once or twice a month. I am having pain in the bottom of my right foot while playing. Has anyone had this problem? Maybe adjustment suggestions to alleviate this? Thanks

Just of interest, do you stretch before you play? Some people can jump on a kit and rip into to it with no ill effects, whereas others (like me!) have to be a bit more supple before playing for any length of time.

Especially before a gig I spend 5-10 minutes walking around, making sure I stretch my arms, legs, feet, hands, fingers, neck, etc. To be honest I can play without stretching fine, but when I stretch I find things like playing double bass a lot easier.

You may have just strained a muscle or something like that. If it keeps happening go see a doctor but certain things like adjusting your playing position, throne height may help.

Ta.

thanks guys, i will definately try the stretching, have a busy weekend coming up, so i hope this works :)

I am currently using a DW 4000 Double Pedal, and its been a while since i have played more than once or twice a month. I am having pain in the bottom of my right foot while playing. Has anyone had this problem? Maybe adjustment suggestions to alleviate this? Thanks

Which part of the foot hurts. Ball of the foot, right behind the toes.
Plantar or instep of the foot, or the heel? If your throne is too high and you are reaching it is possible to stretch or cramp the arch/plantar area. If you play heel up and are burying the pedal it is possible for the ball of the foot to hurt. I doubt if it is the heel area since you said the bottom of the foot.

I agree tension is probably the culprit. I used to tense my foot and push with everything i had and that caused me pain to my knees. I also used to get that foot pain but only very rare. Your settings on your pedal might be making you try that extra bit harder. If you want to make strokes easier, loosten your spring tension a bit (but you will sacrifice rebound) and if your beaters are very high you could try lowering them a bit.

Note: always take measurements of your setting sbefore you change them, that way you can go back to it if the new settings do not suit you.

However it may be your inability to relax. Start playing relaxed, It doesn't matter about power at first so play light and if there is no pain just apply enough pressure to get the results you want. If you start to hurt you know you have gone too far and need to lighten up on the pedal again.

the only way i can explain it is is right between the heel and ball. I play heel up the majority of the time. I do feel like i cannot hit the pedal hard enough, i have the tension about halfway. Stretching seems to help a little bit, im gonna try some more adjustments tonight.

Back